Cyclist killer driver gets 5 years

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
I remember this story from last year where the speeding driver slew sideways across the road and wiped out the poor cyclist (Louise Stoddart) cycling on the other side. Compared to many of the sentences passed recently for killing cyclists with motor vehicles I think this one is a decent sentence.

Link

Sergeant Graeme Hodgson, the senior investigating officer, said it had been a tragic case with no winners.“I wish that motorists could see the devastation and grief that collisions cause and think twice about how they drive,” he said.”

I agree. Nothing can bring back a person killed on the roads, but hopefully some of the idiots who fly down single lane roads round here might take a bit of notice

RIP Louise
sad.gif

[edited due to bad spolling]

ttcycle

Cycling Excusiast
relatively speaking it's better a sentence then some measly fine but when you think of a life lost that can't be changed and how long people get for something like armed burglary...it does make me think property and capital is more important in the justice system then human life.I understand intent is different but nothing can bring that person for their friends and family.

RIP Louise

Crankarm

Guru
I remember this story from last year where the speding driver slew sideways across the road and wiped out the poor cyclist (Louise Stoddart) cycling on the other side. Compared to many of the sentences passed recently for killing cyclists with motor vehicles I think this one is a decent sentence.

Link

I agree. Nothing can bring back a person killed on the roads, but hoepfully some of the idiots who fly down single lane roads round here might take a bit of notice

RIP Louise
sad.gif

[/size][/font]

Nah .......... not in the slightest. Selfish tw4ts like this young driver don't give a stuff about anyone bar themselves. They think they are going to live for ever and they will not have an accident as they are "good" drivers.

What gets me is always in the these cases where drivers are given a period in prison the driving ban always runs concurrently with it. Why FFS? The guy is locked up, how is he going to drive anything except perhaps his cell mate mad for being such a t0$$er? Why not have his driving ban commence when he leaves prison?

RIP the cyclist Louise Stoddart. It must have been a terrifying way to go, a van ploughing sideways into you.

bikeyboots

Wow that is a seriously sad tale, really makes you thankful for your own life and really puts it all into perspective.

I personally feel 5 years is a pitiful amount for taking another's life, it should be 10-15 at least and he should NEVER be allowed to hold a license to drive for as long as he lives.

Keith Oates

Janner
It may make this driver more careful when he comes out of prison but as for making others take note I, like Crankarm, have my doubts because the 'it won't happen to me attitude' will prevail!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BenM

Veteran
he should NEVER be allowed to hold a license to drive for as long as he lives.

Which is pointless because the chance of being caught driving without a license relies totally on being stopped for something else.
As a example I have been stopped by police twice (once for speeding away from a red light - I was young and idiotic at the time, the other for a random stop check) in 25 years of driving. If I were banned I reckon it would be a good bet just to drive anyway.

IMHO for any offence the deterrent effect is largely proportional to the chance of being caught, rather than the tariff once you are caught. Unfortunately many people who make the rules don't seem to see that.

B.

Ste T.

Guru
Sentencing is a joke in this country.

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
Several things strike me about this stuff. One is that its already too late when they end up in court. The best measures are preventative imo, and that comes down to the road users themselves.

The second thing that gets me is that, ok its 5 years. But lets remember that after a few months they can end up in an open prison, and after 2 years they can end up out on the streets again on licence.People need to start seeing this stuff as manslaughter - the driver knew the risks of their actions and decided to do it anyway.

davefb

Guru
ah, so they actually got him for causing death by dangerous driving, not the lesser 'careless' ( which he'd admitted guilty to)..

at least the cps actually felt it was worth the effort to go for that extra charge, they often seem to just accept careless in order to get a conviction.....

still in that case 5 years doesnt seem that much.......... hope the ban is AFTER he gets out..

Top Bottom