Cyclists Beware: The cancer is spreading

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
I regularly see cyclists passing HGV's on the inside. Why risk your life?
I agree with these stickers, the bigger the better.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Wow, where? I've almost never seen it except where there's a marked lane.

The problem is that lorry operators should be replacing the low-visibility cabs with direct-vision ones ASAP, not wasting money putting lipstick on a pig like this and effectively telling their drivers to ignore Highway Code Rules 151, 167, 182, 183 and probably more.

Mmm.......on the one hand big lorries shouldn't go cutting across and driving into cyclists which is the key problem, but yes, there are some daft cyclists who undertake lorries.

Provide that lorry drivers still get proper instruction about their driving standards to deal with being around cyclists, and more importantly, there's still pressure brought on them to have better designed cabs, so they can see out better, then the stickers on the back don't really matter. Hopefully the majority of cyclists don't undertake, but if it stops even just one person doing it, because they'd not thought about the issues before, then that's good. But in the same way a car driver decides to jump a red light, so certain people will ignore a sticker.

I wanted one that said don;t overtake me too closely. Don't overtake me above the speed limit. Don't overtake me then turn across me. Don't overtake me if you are drunk. Don't overtake me if you haven't got insurance. Don't overtake me if your vehicle is not road worthy. Don't overtake me if you are tired. Don't overtake me if you are using your mobile.

The problem was my back is not big enough. I then suggested that I teach drivers this so they understand. Turns out they all supposedly did this when they got their license.

Seeing as those listed above kill and injure hundreds daily I would suggest me getting my point across is more worthwhile, no?

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Wow, where?

I see it a heck of a lot in London. If you think that cyclists do not undertake lorries (and other vehicles) then you are leading a very sheltered cycling life.

I myself have lost count at the number of times that I have had to yell at other cyclists not to undertake left turning vehicles on my commute over the years.

Last edited:
I see a heck of a lot in London. If you think that cyclists do not undertake lorries (and other vehicles) then you are leading a very sheltered cycling life.

I myself have lost count at the number of times that I have had to yell at other cyclists not to undertake left turning vehicles on my commute over the years.

Same here. Although to be honest, they all either ignore me or give me the finger. They clearly know best. :banghead:

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Nobody is suggesting that there aren't some idiot cyclists out there but in the majority of KSI cases in London in recent years there has been clear evidence that the cyclist was not to blame - indeed they have often been using the farcilities that encourage them into dangerous places

Let's be honest - these signs are not about educating cyclists (and pedestrians - as they're now getting targeted by these stupid signs) but about trying to shift the blame and CYA for drivers and their employers.

Your arguing with the wrong person. My post was in reply to MJR's post at his apparent surprise that cyclists would do such a thing.

Last edited by a moderator:

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Same here. Although to be honest, they all either ignore me or give me the finger. They clearly know best. :banghead:

Indeed.
One pillock, after I shouted at him not to undertake (a left turning lorry at a RAB) asked me if I was his mother. I said, no, just the poor sap that would have to see a load of blood and guts spread over the road,

Last edited:

EnPassant

Remember Remember some date in November Member
Stickers are cheap. It's victim blaming.
"We are responsible carriers, all our lorries have a sticker warning cyclists not to go there"
......with the unwritten subtext that "We just spent 2 quid to carry on unaffected and without having to spend more so if you go under our truck, it's your fault alone".

I'd support them if I believed they were genuinely there for the education of cyclists. Sadly I believe they are there as a sop to evade responsibility for more expensive measures such as training drivers and better view from cabs.

So, no cyclists shouldn't undertake trucks, I'm relatively inexperienced (certainly compared to many here), it's why I read this site. But even I learned this one within days of returning to the road after a 20 year absence. But I don't believe for a second that cyclist education is why companies put these stickers on.

Well, that's my opinion thus far, and I'm stick(er)ing to it for now.

BrynCP

Über Member
I see a lot of people in Hull going on the insides of lorries, buses, dustcarts etc. Some get very annoyed when I am stopped being such a vehicle and they're intent on getting by it (on the inside) to go into the ASZ (or worse, through the red light).

Many Hull cyclists are commuters, who do few miles a week and are not as competent as some here. If the stickers make them think and stop them putting themselves in danger, they're doing a job regardless of who they're really trying to save.

mjr

I see it a heck of a lot in London. If you think that cyclists do not undertake lorries (and other vehicles) then you are leading a very sheltered cycling life.
I said "almost never" and yes, most of them have been in London. But in North Yorkshire?

[QUOTE 4495239, member: 259"]They are part of a national campaign in NL called Velilig op de weg (Safe on the roads) which is run by cycling safety and trucking industry organisations.[/QUOTE]
Really? It looks like it's the freight industry with the complicity of the VVN. What cycling safety organisation is involved? It looks like incompetent British-style road safety - like @User wrote in the OP, the cancer spreading.

mjr

It looks like it's the freight industry with the complicity of the VVN.
I've been reminded (thanks!) that people might not realise that VVN (Safe Traffic Netherlands) basically acts like a Dutch RoSPA, blaming all the silly vulnerable users for being vulnerable, and has had several problems over the years with its prominent spokespeople being caught speeding - there seems to be little in English on the web about it, but you could feed https://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Veilig_Verkeer_Nederland into a translator for a summary.

Top Bottom