Cyclists beware

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jake

Just though I would warn those who cycle along the Regent’s Canal, just near the Haggerston rd & Queensbridge rd bridges along Rgent's Row, there was some madman who looked like he was going to attack me whilst cycling along. Very scary. I approach on the left with plenty of distance, he is on the left too. I move to the right and he goes to the middle. He is tossing something from hand to hand in a intimidating way, as I get close to him its in his left hand he reaches out with his left hand as if to either punch or stab me in the stomach. I was just waiting for the impact as not much more I could do. Complete maniac. Been to the police, it’s been logged. Thank goodness for the camera, managed to capture the whole incident.

Perry

Jake, please post the video!

Glad you are OK.

OP
OP
Jake

Jake

Morning. Yes so am i. It may have been nothing, maybe i over reacted. The video can be found on "mycycleclips" on youtube so you can decide for yourself.

ps, some of the clips other cyclists may not like lol

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
Looks like a drunk nutter to me just trying to scare you, which it obviously did. There are too many of these people about. They are "normally" harmless, but you never can really tell.

OP
OP
Jake

Jake

lol, thats what i thought, thats why i didnt flinch and just kept going. However, he def' has something in his hand which i can't ell what it was. Not seen him before on the path, so who knows.

Will try that tactic next time if i come across him :rofl:

Def' worth getting the camera though, its prtty good fun .

OP
OP
Jake

Jake

Sounds like you were reenacting something from either Shaun of the dead or 28days later. Right i'm off on my trusty stead.

Bodhbh

Guru
Tommorow turn up with a pair of Boudicca-style wheel blades kitted up like an extra from Beyond the Thunderdome.

OP
OP
Jake

Jake

Do you think i could also have a spear or a cattle-prod for the joggers who don't move out the way because their iPods are too loud to hear my bell? Maybe you could design a veichle for todays urban commute.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Jake said:
Do you think i could also have a spear or a cattle-prod for the joggers who don't move out the way because their iPods are too loud to hear my bell? Maybe you could design a veichle for todays urban commute.

Do you think you could slow down and pass them nicely once it's safe instead of doing to them what all the impatient and angry car drivers do to us?

This is why canal paths are good for enjoying, and roads for making progress and getting somewhere quickly and efficiently.

OP
OP
Jake

Jake

Sorry Bent, but if I went any slower to manoeuvre around, I would not have the speed to get past. I consider myself a patient cyclist along the towpath giving way, usually without any thanks, to joggers and cyclists.

rootes

I use that bit of canal quite a lot and that is is the only section that I find a bit dodgy feeling - I often ride down the paralle bit of road - especially if the canal path is busy etc

Nigeyy

Legendary Member
That's pretty nasty cycling if you ask me -should have just stopped. Don't know if it was in a country where you drive on the left or right -doesn't matter, should have just slowed down or stopped.

Urban-commuter said:
Meeting a person with a grudge against cyclists on that part of the canal is not a welcoming position.

Caught between a fence and a wet place.

Maybe they grow that grudge in the first place by watching examples of crap riding skills, rlj, and cyclists nearly knocking joggers in to the canal. As recorded:

View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=edPNmTCvOb4

OP
OP
Jake

Jake

Thing is with the road bit is that its all cobbled, otherwise I prob would use it. Not sure if this guy had a grudge, or was just a nutter and was looking for trouble no matter who it was with. Im sure he prob did it to the joggers behind me too.

Yeah thats one of my clips too, He didnt ding a bell or slow down, or check how she was. Those tunnels are tight and a bit of a nightmare, always best to exercise caution.

Top Bottom