Cyclists Dismount - Roadworks

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Paco de Bango

Don't know if this has been posted before from a couple of weeks ago:

http://road.cc/content/news/130401-...s-rider-who-persuaded-contractor-change-signs

Contractors who don't bother making provision for cyclists and just put up "cyclist dismount" signs in order to tick the Health and Safety box do wind me up in particular. This article states the legal requiements - that they are supposed to provide for cyclists, not just tell them to naff off via a "Dismount" sign.

I've written to a few Contractors and TfL about a number of roadworks over the past few months and things do seem to be improving. If anyone else notices contractors taking the easy option can I ask that you email the relevant Contractor and Borough Council pointing out their obligations to get them to change?

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
The new Code of Practice on Safety at Street Works "comes into force on 1 October 2014." It includes provision for "ROAD CLOSED EXCEPT CYCLES" and stronger direction to keep cycle routes open. Compliance is a legal requirement and you can find a copy at https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/safety-at-street-works-and-road-works

That said, has anyone succeeded in getting it (or the previous edition) enforced and can you share tips on how you did it? The local county highways department feels a bit like the PR department of utilities contractors lately with stunts like claiming that a 2m-between-fences strip of loosely-packed gravel is an acceptable surface for walkers and riders to share in a town.

Last edited:

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
I'd be happy to get off my bike and walk it, provided motorists have to do the same with their cars. Just think of the exercise they'd get pushing the damn things. We must be evenhanded, after all :whistle:.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Cyclists Dismount signs have appeared on the cycle track now, where they are installing lighting. There was nobody working so I just rode past, but I don't see the need to dismount, just slow down and be prepared to stop and wait. Not sure how you put that on a sign though.
image.jpg

I've got a road closed due to road resurfacing on my cycle commute starting Monday for a week.

My two alternatives are either really, really busy or a single lane farm track covered in all sorts of country stuff.

Think I may bluff it and try the usual road. Only draw back is though I've got a very hard climb back if they turn me around.

crdf

I've got a road closed due to road resurfacing on my cycle commute starting Monday for a week.
My two alternatives are either really, really busy or a single lane farm track covered in all sorts of country stuff.
Think I may bluff it and try the usual road. Only draw back is though I've got a very hard climb back if they turn me around.

If they are letting cars trough they should let you as well. As we can use all road lanes I don't see what is the issue of not dismounting. Or are we supposed to dismount every time we see it?

theclaud

Openly Marxist
Cyclists Dismount signs have appeared on the cycle track now, where they are installing lighting. There was nobody working so I just rode past, but I don't see the need to dismount, just slow down and be prepared to stop and wait. Not sure how you put that on a sign though. View attachment 57941

You should definitely have dismounted. It makes it easier to hurl the sign into the ditch.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Yesterday I met the digger as I was going through, I just stopped and waited till they manoeuvred into a position to go by. As did the other cyclists, none of us dismounted, nor did the workmen ask us to, proving the sign wrong.

albion

Guru
Its a health and safety thing, also done to give you an awareness warning.
You get them at bus stops, where, as there is no pedestrians or bus, you ignore and cycle on at full speed.

I also think health and safety comes into near Sunderland Bridge at the Honest Lawyer.
Getting across to the pub side to join the cycle track is so dangerous that it looks like Durham CC chose to leave the mile+ long quality cycle track fully unsignposted.

OP
OP
P

Paco de Bango

Its a health and safety thing, also done to give you an awareness warning.
You get them at bus stops, where, as there is no pedestrians or bus, you ignore and cycle on at full speed.

I also think health and safety comes into near Sunderland Bridge at the Honest Lawyer.
Getting across to the pub side to join the cycle track is so dangerous that it looks like Durham CC chose to leave the mile+ long quality cycle track fully unsignposted.

You're right, it's a H&S thing. The point being the Contractor should be putting in an adequate alternate provision, not just a dismount sign. The article in the link above quotes the code of practice:

"You must ensure suitable provisions are made for the safety of cyclists passing or crossing the works. Particular care is needed where cycle lanes or cycle tracks are affected by street works or road works because these routes may be especially popular with cyclists."

It's something that lazy contractors get away with because no one raises the issue: If a Contractor closes access for motor vehicles, a whole raft of diversion signs must be in place for everyones safety, if a footpath needs to be closed, a suitable route must be in place that even blind people can negotiate safely, if a cycle path needs to be closed, put up a "cyclists dismount" sign. It's not good enough, but if people raise the issue with the contractors and local authority we can stop it happening.

gaijintendo

Veteran
Very old thread, but probably doesn't need it's own:

Glasgow University had a "Cyclists Dismount" sign up whilst building work continues, a fair bit of feedback from cyclists later, and the contractor/council have amended it to "Cycle Lane Closed".

That feels more inclusive, and makes me feel like such a thing as a cycling community exists locally. The transport coordinator implied that she'd heard a lot of feedback- so it wasn't just me who was offended :tongue:

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
That feels more inclusive, and makes me feel like such a thing as a cycling community exists locally. The transport coordinator implied that she'd heard a lot of feedback- so it wasn't just me who was offended :tongue:
Not enough feedback to close a lane to cars and divert the cycle lane into it, like what the Dutch would, though!

hillrep

Veteran
Very old thread, but probably doesn't need it's own:

Glasgow University had a "Cyclists Dismount" sign up whilst building work continues, a fair bit of feedback from cyclists later, and the contractor/council have amended it to "Cycle Lane Closed".

I was offended too :-). Complained to the council (no reply yet) and the very active and supportive transport coordinator (instant reply) - she'd already been in contact with the contractor.

Top Bottom