Cyclists don't count as road users, argues Chris Grayling transport secretary

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I might have argued this before but, if you campaign for segregated facilities, the potential consequence is that you create the opportunity for other people delegitimising our road use.
Bull plop. He's talking about cycle lanes, not even protected stuff. He probably thinks buses aren't road users either because they have lanes.

mjr

I was going to say, someone shoot him, but that's not a reasoned, responsible comment.
Run him over? I don't mind with which mode of transport ;)

mustang1

Guru
Because he's in charge of something which is important to most people 'Transport'.
Had no idea (I have little idea about most things in life). I wonder if he has some qualification with transport planning or some such thing. Makes me think of a saying:

Those who should manage, don't want to.
Those who want to manage, shouldn't.

Edit: of course the clue is in the title about who this dude is.

Last edited:

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
So, he's opened his mouth and confirmed he's an idiot but that hardly makes him unique in Westminster...
Besides, since when has any actual knowledge about your portfolio been mandatory for a government minister? Transport in particular has always been a stepping stone brief.

subaqua

What’s the point
I might have argued this before but, if you campaign for segregated facilities, the potential consequence is that you create the opportunity for other people delegitimising our road use.

And the segregationists don't see that. All they see is 5 yr olds tootling along embankment on a Sunday , which is nice, but akin to a sticking plaster on a severed leg.

Drago

Legendary Member
"Chris Grayling? What a chump!"
1375868810210.jpg

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
So, he's opened his mouth and confirmed he's an idiot but that hardly makes him unique in Westminster...
Besides, since when has any actual knowledge about your portfolio been mandatory for a government minister? Transport in particular has always been a stepping stone brief.
With a career that's encompassed Shadow Home Secretary, Lord Chancellor and Leader of the House, it's a stepping-stone backwards for him.

mjr

Any need for segregation is an admission of failure.
Motorways exist. Therefore, motoring has failed. But I'd be happy if we make cycling fail to the same high levels as motoring is currently failing.

Most country roads do not have pavements
Most country roads should be filtered (gated, resident/access only) rather than segregated.

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
Most country roads should be filtered (gated, resident/access only) rather than segregated.
Why???
Some are major, as Adrian pointed out. But the ones that are not are still routes between villages and provide access to the countryside. Gating them would prevent cyclists/walkers/horse riders using them as well as motor traffic. And would resident access only apply to all traffic (including bikes) as well as motors?

Top Bottom