Cyclists flout law 'to stay safe'

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jaded

Normally I take my position according to the phasing of the lights. There's nothing worse than arriving at the lights and unclipping and they go green as you put your foot down. If I haven't seen them go red and/or don't know how long they will be red I'm cautious. I'm looking for a slightly larger gap between cars. or a slightly slower vehicle to pop in front of.

Also uphill vs downhill, I'll go further up the queue if it is downhill and I'll be well away. Pinch point ahead? I'll take more care. Every queue is different. Even if I know the lights, the cars and drivers are different. I observe and make my decision from what I see.

If an arse has cut me up I'll go in front of them. Foolish, but fun.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I very rarely filter up the left to an ASL, even if there's a green band to it, because of the cars turning left. I'll go up the outside or between the two lanes.

But I wouldn't filter up the left if they were moving, I'd just either ride secondary or primary with the traffic depending on the individual junction. And I guess it also depends on whether its a set of lights that you know its phasing.

You are also more likely to end up talking to another cyclist in an ASL:smile:

Top Bottom