Cyclists murdered in Mexico

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

robjh

Legendary Member
I too saw that article, and felt a shudder of horror on reading it, a reaction which I am sure I share with many other cycle tourists. For all its awfulness though it is important to keep some perspective. Occasional horrible things happen to travellers of many different kinds and we must remember that the risks are very low, and cyclists are generally no more vulnerable than others.

OP
OP
Crankarm

Crankarm

Guru
I too saw that article, and felt a shudder of horror on reading it, a reaction which I am sure I share with many other cycle tourists. For all its awfulness though it is important to keep some perspective. Occasional horrible things happen to travellers of many different kinds and we must remember that the risks are very low, and cyclists are generally no more vulnerable than others.

Well yes and no. Europe certainly yes but South America sadly no. The area in which this happened has seen tourists targeted. Armed gangs and militias linked to drugs trade stopping cars, buses, coaches and cyclists; robbing them of everything and killing them I if they put up any resistance or indeed if they just want to kill them. What perceived safety you have being a cyclist counts for nothing. The safest thing is just to avoid the region or indeed the country. Banditry seems to be on the rise in South America. There are roads leaving Cartagena in Columbia and areas in Peru which are very dangerous for cycle tourists who have been attacked and robbed of everything except the clothes they are wearing. Apparently in this incident the gang made sure to take any cameras including GoPros to destroy any evidence. Their bodies were brutally and barbarically mutilated. The local Mexican police initially said the cyclists lost control of their bikes on the mountain road and went over the edge, case closed. Probably in cahoots with the bandits. Then perhaps they were forced off the road by a big truck or trailer. But there is now a new prosecutor on the case. The German Government have now commenced a murder investigation. The brother of the dead German cyclist is flying to Mexico. The Polish guy's family apparently cannot afford to go. Awful.

robing

Über Member
Mexico is not in South America. If you are going to tar a continent, please refer to North America.
The correct term would be Latin America. Mexico has had increasing criminal gang violence. It seems to be getting out of control.

OP
OP
Crankarm

Crankarm

Guru
Mexico is not in South America. If you are going to tar a continent, please refer to North America.

Indeed North America, but I haven't stated Mexico is in South America. I referred to South America in addition to Mexico as there are also many lawless areas there Columbia, Peru and Chile where touring cyclists have also been targeted, robbed at gun point by gangs.

The Yukon is in North America too isn't it, not Mars? In fact Canada, but definitely not Mars.

Last edited:

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
When I was twenty two, I visited Chiapas, and stepped off a local bus to have a look at a church. I didn't say a word to anybody, but the locals decided it would be fun to hurl rocks at a gringo. You really have to hear the fizzing noise.....ffffffffzzzzzzzzzzzzz as a rock goes close by your right ear to make up your mind about Mexico being a total sh1t-hole.

The kids threw stones at me in Afghanistan in 1973, but they did it for fun. The Mexicans were looking for serious damage, and they were grown men.

Last edited:

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
[QUOTE 5242011, member: 9609"]after watching the BBC News - "Mexico's Streets of Blood" I don't feel it is a place I would like to go to let alone cycle through.[/QUOTE]
It's a sad state of affairs. I've been a few times, and would go again, but would now not venture out of a holiday complex, unlike previous visits, which rather defeats the object.

numbnuts

Legendary Member
Just remember “there ain't no place like home” we just get stabbed, shot at and acid thrown in our faces.

Drago

Legendary Member
I've ridden a motorbike in Lebanon in the late Eighties - tail light bulb removed so as not to attract the attention of snipers at night - but Mexico in 2018 is a bit much for me.

People need to consider that when they go to foreign parts seeking adventure, they may get rather more adventure than they bargained for.

Just remember “there ain't no place like home” we just get stabbed, shot at and acid thrown in our faces.

Remind me not to visit your house! :laugh:

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
Remind me not to visit your house! :laugh:
On a bike, even in the States, I'd have to give you a specific route to my house, and I'm not even in meth country. But it's getting too close for my comfort. Watch Ozark on Netflix. I remember when that area was safe. A very sad commentary, born out of hopelessness, desperation, and a lack of real discipline. Not what conservatives view as discipline/family values, just civilized behavior, and the will to maintain it.

Top Bottom