Cyclist's record quest ends as he is killed by pickup truck in northern Thailand

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

classic33

Leg End Member
Juan Francisco Guillermo, 47, killed by driver in Nakhon Ratchasima

Chilean cyclist's quest to bike around the world in five years has ended with his death in a road accident in northeast Thailand.

Police say the 47-year-old Juan Francisco Villa Honorato was hit by a pickup truck and immediately killed Saturday on a highway in Nakhon Ratchasima province.

Col. Torsak Thammingmongkol says the driver was arrested on a charge of causing death by dangerous driving and released on bail.

The pickup truck ended up on its roof, according to a Thai expat website.

According to police and accounts on social media, Mr Guillermo was attempting to set a Guinness World Record by cycling 250,000 kilometers (155,350 miles) in five continents in five years.

His journey started in November 2010 and was scheduled to end in November this year.

The cyclist carried a sign that said he had been to 49 countries and four continents and had suffered from more than 700 flat tires during the process.

When he reached Mexico in 2012, the 5'9'' man weighed 140 pounds, according to Diario Presente.

He said he found and ate an anaconda while biking through Brazil.

He left Chile with 20,000 and has now been all over the Americas, northern Africa and Europe, according to Montenbaik.com

Mr Guillermo's wife, who he met during his journey, was on another bicycle with their 2-year-old son Lucas and suffered a slight sprain in the accident, said police Col. Torsak Thammingmongkol.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
"Tom Magee, South Florida, United States, a day ago

Face facts. Bicycles don't belong on the roads built for cars with fuel taxes, period. I wonder how much time and fuel he caused people to collectively waste while they were stuck behind him in traffic."

If there's anyone up there please strike this cretin down in one way or another!:dry:

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
"Tom Magee, South Florida, United States, a day ago

Face facts. Bicycles don't belong on the roads built for cars with fuel taxes, period. I wonder how much time and fuel he caused people to collectively waste while they were stuck behind him in traffic."

If there's anyone up there please strike this cretin down in one way or another!:dry:
I couldn't help it: I left Mr Magee a reply telling him that cars slow other cars down more than do cyclists. I have scant hope it will sink in, though, even if he does read it.

OP
OP
classic33

classic33

Leg End Member
Tragic end to an amazing adventure. Sickening.

As for the comments, what do you expect on the scummy DM?
Actually got the story from an Australian site. Put the name through google and it gave the DM as a UK paper reporting it.

The comments there seem to be mirrored in every other paper.

Top Bottom