Cyclists - Should they be insured?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mrBishboshed

I am not advocating this but i am interested in what all you bike riders think.

I am about to take to the busier roads and i do worry that i may not be covered if i am injured in an accident. Is it really worth spending money on insurance and do they actually pay out after an unfortunate event?

Also last year I had a cyclist leave a huge scratch down the side of my car in Hackney and i would have loved the chance to claim from them for the re-spray. (Wishful thinking?) Will it work this way round if i cause an accident or damage a vehicle?

Here are the articles that started me thinking it MAY be a good idea
http://www.pannone.com/media/articl...rsonal-injury/cyclists-should-they-be-insured
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-15892074

Are any of you insured? What do you think?

P.S I just found this letter which may get some of you all bothered. I would love to hear your views. At the moment i kind of agree with the writer but i am open minded. http://www.shropshirestar.com/news/2012/04/26/letter-cyclists-should-have-insurance/

numbnuts

Legendary Member
I'm with CTC

What's the difference between a cyclist being insured and someone pushing a pram being insured or driving a mobility scooter or walking with a bag. In terms of risk, it's all about the same. If someone scratched my car with a pram I'd take exactly the same approach as with a cyclist (nothing as it happens but you get the gist). Should children take out insurance. Where exactly does it begin and end?

Your home insurance probably covers more than you think and the rest is up to you. If you're worried about the cascade effect of a severe wobble, take it out.

AnythingButVanilla

Über Member
Me and the boy currently have LCC membership but I'll more than likely move over to CTC via the Friday's when it expires in November, unless anyone can give me a good enough reason to stick with LCC or go with BC.

Davidc

Guru
The majority of cyclists are insured.

1) Most through household insurance policies which include 3rd party insurance which is valid on a bike.

2) CTC and other cycling organisations also include insurance in their membership benefits.

OP
OP
mrBishboshed

mrBishboshed

I will look in to CTC and GC. I think i will go for some if the premiums are reasonable. I cant afford the time of work unpaid and the thought of being taken to court worries me if i screw up. I hate this compensation culture.

Put your trollmeter into standby Glasgowcyclist. I am here for opinion's and i thought a controversial letter would help me get some. :unsure: The more the merrier.

OP
OP
mrBishboshed

mrBishboshed

I suppose the difference is a pram and pedestrian dont spend most of their time on the public highways Crackle. I would defiantly get my Mrs insured with our buggy if she did. She is bad enough round the isles at Morrisons with it.

I suppose the difference is a pram and pedestrian dont spend most of their time on the public highways Crackle. I would defiantly get my Mrs insured with our buggy if she did. She is bad enough round the isles at Morrisons with it.
My reply was slightly facetious but a cyclist has a similar potential to cause damage and nowhere near the potential of any kind of motorised vehicle.

OP
OP
mrBishboshed

mrBishboshed

My reply was slightly facetious but a cyclist has a similar potential to cause damage and nowhere near the potential of any kind of motorized vehicle
I know where your coming from but its all relative. I am a big fat lump on a bike doing 27mph, (again wishful thinking) and a pedestrian walks into the road without looking and they are gonna get mashed. We cant always allow for stupidity.

ohnovino

Large Member
I've got third party cover through my British Cycling membership. There are usually offers around that make it around £10-£12 for your first year.

It's perhaps worth pointing out that with cycling insurance you're really just paying for the admin; payouts are so rare and so small that there's little financial cost involved.

Top Bottom