Cyclists Upper Body Workouts

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
As I've trawled(or trolled:biggrin:) my way through many cycling forums and this one in particular there are a lot of posts around this subject. These range from specific pains/back/neck/arm/hand problems to just the 'I'm a cyclist and look weedy from the waist up'.

Simple solution, install a chin up bar in your home, preferrable in a hallway on the route to the toilet(the one you most frequently use for those better endowed:biggrin:). As often as you remember use the bar, even if all you can do is hang straight or maybe a half chin. Set it at a height where your feet reach the ground you can then easily alter the amount of weight on your arms. This will do wonders for straightening out kinks and strengthening the muscle groups. You may be amazed by how fast you improve and how quickly it supplies definition to your upper body. As you get better vary your hand direction to increase array of muscles used. You can also do leg raises to work more on your abdomen. For those worried about balance mix in some isometrics within the toilet doorframe, so that you're pushing as opposed to pulling.

5 minutes a day can make a tremendous difference and doesn't need any fancy gyms or exercise equipment. I just buy a cheap bar and fit this by dint of 2 bits of 4x2 attached to the wall with holes cut out for the bar to sit in.

Oh yeah, all the usual don't overdo it, check with your doctor etc applies:biggrin:

Brahan

Über Member

jimboalee

There's a good cheap exercise called a "Full Bastard".

Stand to attention.
Drop to a crouch.
Spring into Press up position.
Do a handclap press up.
Squat thrust back into crouch.
Do a star jump from crouch back into crouch.
Stand to attention.

Repeat.

OP
OP
MacB

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
jimboalee said:
There's a good cheap exercise called a "Full Bastard".

Stand to attention.
Drop to a crouch.
Spring into Press up position.
Do a handclap press up.
Squat thrust back into crouch.
Do a star jump from crouch back into crouch.
Stand to attention.

Repeat.

Ah the military mindset, truly no pain no gain:biggrin:

jimboalee

Ya MacB.

Do 10 of these in a minute and one's well on one's way - to the first aid room.

20 in two minutes and call a paramedic. ;)

Ravenz

Some nice conditioning work here

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/rossboxing2.htm

however... these only to be carried out after fully warming up and mobilization or you will be paying a visit to the NHS..
Correct form is vital and cease if any joint discomfort..
attempt to do the exercise as softly and controlled as possible..
still expect yur shoulder/knee/ankle/wrist to take a bit of pounding so go easy and dont do indoors.. with low ceilings;):biggrin:;)

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
PS Make sure you fix it to the door frame properly, or your missus will be collecting the £250.......... ;);)

Blonde

Pay attention to your every day (desk sitting, in my case) posture. I have a shoulder (Acromioclavicular joint arthritis) injury caused by falling whilst extending my arm to stop the fall. The Physio said the injury and the more general cyclist's (rounded) upper back is made worse by the fact that I sit at a desk job all day. The desk slouch, (shoulders forward) position compresses the Acromioclavicular joint, impeding my recovery and the rounded back is also made worse by this slouching. You need to emply a pelvis slightly tilted forward (lower back flat) abs in, and shoulders back/down with chin tucked in position, all day long, not just when you remember to stand up straight! Any upper body excersies you do should be done whilst in this position - standing/sitting tall, abs supporting your torso, shoulders back and down, lower back flat (pelvis forwards slightly). It's really the same as the "Pilates" body alignment and every day use will help avoid back problems. Doing the upper body excercises with the right body alignment is really important - as is "form" whilst lifting any weights if you want to get the best benefits.

Occupational health services at your place of work should also be used to help you with setting up your desk/seat for optimum position - they will be happy to help since this helps prevent days off work due to back problems.

Top Bottom