Cyclists using mobiles - WTF?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sam the Eagle

last night a guy cycled past me on a busy road, looking like he was reading a text on his mobile, or maybe he was looking at a map.
This morning I overtook a guy who was holding the phone to his hear having a conversation.
WTF are those guys thinking?

Cab

Sam the Eagle said:
last night a guy cycled past me on a busy road, looking like he was reading a text on his mobile, or maybe he was looking at a map.
This morning I overtook a guy who was holding the phone to his hear having a conversation.
WTF are those guys thinking?

Seems quite common. Frankly it scares me about a hundredth as much as the motorists I see doing precisely the same thing. Its moronic, though.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
It's not illegal (hears all the literalists on commuting choking on their coffee) ;). Being serious it isn't a good idea but it is nowhere near as serious or common as doing it in a car.

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
You do get given a lot of room if you text while riding, although I've found that reading a book works even better.

Neddy

Don't joke - WVM coming in the opposite direction to me this morning had his newspaper stretched across the steering wheel and his head down to read it.

OP
OP
Sam the Eagle

Sam the Eagle

palinurus said:
You do get given a lot of room if you text while riding, although I've found that reading a book works even better.

good point. I'll buy the paper tomorrow -that's the only thing I miss from commuting on the Tube

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
I saw a guy shaving while driving recently. I could save time if I did that, but I wet shave which makes it more of a challenge.

Mr Pig

Saw a guy carrying a large cup of coffee! No idea how far he got though...

Don't do it, don't think anyone should. Reason? You get fetched off by someone, it's more ammunition to them. If you are unfortunate enough to be fetched off your bike by a motorist, you want to be squaky clean so they can't 'apportion' any blame/responsibility onto you.
Besides, how the hell d'you hear someone on a mobile, either if you're the caller or the recipient of said call, whilst riding a bike?

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
marinyork said:
It's not illegal (hears all the literalists on commuting choking on their coffee) :biggrin:. Being serious it isn't a good idea but it is nowhere near as serious or common as doing it in a car.

+1

marinyork said:
It's not illegal

That may be true in the UK. In Holland, by comparison, it is. I know that my sister, who works in the Dutch police force, is quite happy to write offending cyclists a penalty notice for a few tenners. It is a dangerous thing to do, and deserves to be banned. If the cyclist gets distracted and suddenly drifts into the path of an attentive driver, just imagine the unspeakable grief his death would cause. Also to the driver, who'll have to live with it. Phoning while cycling ought to be banned.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
WimbledonCyclist said:
That may be true in the UK. In Holland, by comparison, it is. I know that my sister, who works in the Dutch police force, is quite happy to write offending cyclists a penalty notice for a few tenners. It is a dangerous thing to do, and deserves to be banned. If the cyclist gets distracted and suddenly drifts into the path of an attentive driver, just imagine the unspeakable grief his death would cause. Also to the driver, who'll have to live with it. Phoning while cycling ought to be banned.

What a load of hysterical crap. Welcome to cyclechat :biggrin:

I'm sure it is illegal somewhere else.

I am Spartacus

Über Member
Dont get on yer high horse.. if it aint illegal.. so what?
Praise be for a few liberties left on this sceptered isle.....

I saw a knobhead tracksuit wearing piece of useless crap walking down the pavement downing a can of Stella at 11am... again so what?