Cyclocross Bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

upandover

Guru
Hi,

Having sold my electric bike, I'm looking for a Cyclocross bike to replace it with. My budget is very limited (upto £2-300), and so I'm looking for used.

I'm watching on ebay as well, but just in case anyone is tempted to sell their old one?

Thanks
Steve

Dave5N

Über Member
Steve, Why?

You'll be hard pressed to get a decent 'cross bike for that. Are you going to race it? If you are, up your budget a bit. If not, think again about where and how you will ride.

OP
OP
upandover

upandover

Guru
I guess it depends on definition. A lot of people would say you couldn't get a decent bike at all for that kind of money. They may be right, but then this is the money I have.

I've seen a few bikes which look ok, sub £300, on ebay in the last couple of weeks, and would be happy with a number of those. I'm not wanting to race it, (probably) but do want a drop bar bike that I can also use on trails and canals etc, up and down pavements if I want, as well as on the road. It's seems a fairly common compromise, and fairly common (as I intend) to keep two types of wheels for it.

Any advice on what I'm looking for is of course welcome, advice on alternate bikes too - though I'd note this isn't an unthinking decision.

Cheers
Steve

Dave5N

Über Member
Wel I wouldn't go up and down pavements onmy 'cross bike, given it has the same wheels as my road bike. Good for what you describe otherwise.

The trouble with a cheap secondhand one is that it is likely to have had a hard time if it has been raced, otherwise why sell it cheap?

OP
OP
upandover

upandover

Guru
Thanks, That's a really good idea.

Sadly, I came across all responsible, and spent the money on a new tent to replace ours, which was trashed last year. Looks like I'll be waiting a while longer for the new bike!

Thanks for the suggestion though - That would be a really good way to build one on a budget - I'll have a look around, including at those links.

Thanks
Steve

Top Bottom