Cyclocross tyres

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

2old2care

Über Member
I'm considering trying a summer cyclocross race, but I only have my winter road bike to use. What are the narrowest cyclocross tyres available, since I think I can only fit 25's at most. :rolleyes:

PpPete

Legendary Member
Schwalbe CX Pro are nominally 30mm. I don't know of anything narrower than that. Most are 32s or 35s I believe.

I've got a pair of Schwalbe's you can borrow to try, if you are anywhere close, or don't mind paying postage ?

Jezston

Über Member
You sure you can only take 25s? Those are some pretty seriously narrow wheels if so. Or / and are clearlances that tight?
You really aren't going to be able to do cyclocross if you can't fit at least 32s, IMHO.

OP
OP
2old2care

2old2care

Über Member
Well the bikes a winter road frame, and the maker quotes that it will only take 25's max. But I've just had a measure and I think the rear will just take a 30, and maybe the fork aswell, but this will be close, carbon fork with mudguard clearance. If I knew how I'd post some photo's :rolleyes: :biggrin:

Thanks for the offer Pete, but I'm still undecided at the mo.

Jetzon why do think 32's are a min recomendation as it's a summer race and hopefully the ground will be a bit harder.

P.H

Über Member
Summer Cyclocross??? Whatever next, winter cricket?? Cyclosross has always been a winter sport. I suspect your race isn't anything official? UCI rules are that tyres should be a maximum of 33mm, 30s are the most common. It used to be usual to use something narrower like 28s. A bigger problem than tyre size will be brake clearance if it's wet (Yes that can happen even in summer!) It's not going to take much mud to clog a std reach caliper and they're not as easy to clear as cantis. The other problem is pinch flats, a lot of cyclocross bikes still use tubs for this reason, they can drop the pressure right down without worrying. A rough course on 25mm tyres at a pressure high enough to avoid flats might be more than a tad uncomfortable. But if it's meant to be a bit of fun, take what you've got and have fun :biggrin:

If you want to squeeze 28mm in, try it with the brake quick release open, it'll be a pain if you do get a puncture, but then your race will be over anyway.

OP
OP
2old2care

2old2care

Über Member
I've never done any type of racing ever! and I thought that racing off road ( mountain biking doesn't interest me ) without the team tactics would be more to my liking, less formal, it's run under TLI rules I think! But as a first attempt I didn't want to spend too much on something I might only do once or twice and then never again. UCI I don't think they will have even heard of TLI, besides it's only a local league run for the convenience of local racers and designed to get more people into the sport :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

Although the point about the high pressure of the 25 clincher tyres is a good one, as I think it would be uncomfortable, maybe I'll try to come up with another way around the tyre issue.

Top Bottom