Cyclocross v Road bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
For long rides on road you want something that is fast but comfortable, with clearances to take 28mm tyres and mudguards. An audax bike is likely to fit the bill a little bit better on both counts than a cyclocross.

On a parallel thread on the same subject someone posted that Wiggle is currently selling the Ridgeback Horizon for <£500 - but there are plenty of other options depending, as ever, on how much you want to spend.

Oh no. Thank you for the info, I don't know much about audax bikes so have been searching the internet. And now I have found a brilliant one - the Giant Defy
ohmy.gif

Now there is a choice and I'm kinda liking the audax - oh no, no, no, no! This isn't allowed to happen - can only get one at the moment
bicycle.gif
lol.

Norm

Oh no. Thank you for the info, I don't know much about audax bikes so have been searching the internet. And now I have found a brilliant one - the Giant Defy
ohmy.gif

Now there is a choice and I'm kinda liking the audax - oh no, no, no, no! This isn't allowed to happen - can only get one at the moment
bicycle.gif
lol.
:biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

The accepted custom and practice is to get n before considering n+1. ;) But, sod convention, eh. :biggrin:

Going back to my first post in this thread, the Secteur is the "audax" bike from the Spesh range, so my choices are between that and the cx-styled Tricross. I can say nothing more than my Tricross, which is about 6 months newer, has many more miles under its tyres. I took it today, for instance, and it reminded me how well it copes with the rubbish road surfaces.

On top of that, when I got the Secteur, it was a straight play-off between that and the Defy. Every other bike I've bought in the past 30 years has been a Giant, but I went for the Secteur over the Defy.

However, again going back to my first post, I don't say what bike anyone else should choose, just what I chose under exactly the same circumstances. The "right" bike for you is the one that fits you and your purposes, on the surfaces that you want to ride and with the sizing appropriate for you and the controls where you want them.

:biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

The accepted custom and practice is to get n before considering n+1. ;) But, sod convention, eh. :biggrin:

Going back to my first post in this thread, the Secteur is the "audax" bike from the Spesh range, so my choices are between that and the cx-styled Tricross. I can say nothing more than my Tricross, which is about 6 months newer, has many more miles under its tyres. I took it today, for instance, and it reminded me how well it copes with the rubbish road surfaces.

On top of that, when I got the Secteur, it was a straight play-off between that and the Defy. Every other bike I've bought in the past 30 years has been a Giant, but I went for the Secteur over the Defy.

However, again going back to my first post, I don't say what bike anyone else should choose, just what I chose under exactly the same circumstances. The "right" bike for you is the one that fits you and your purposes, on the surfaces that you want to ride and with the sizing appropriate for you and the controls where you want them.

Norm - you are a star! And I apologise most sincerely for breaking convention - my head was turned too easily
biggrin.gif

I've read a lot about the Tricross and people seem to really like it. I've never seen one - the bike shops here don't have it.

The reason I decided to go for Giant was largely based on being able to put my hands on one. I was shown the the TCX model which is seriously nice and actually a bit lighter, not by much, than my road bike. It's a cyclocross and to be honest, it's been swimming around my head which tells me that I should investigate more and not start confusing myself by looking at other types of bike.

I really appreciate your advice! So, I have formally decided to buy a cyclocross, based on very useful advice and bike shop visit. I think now I shall go back and give a whirl in front of the shop.

Hopefully convention has now been restored!
whistling.gif

Thank you!
thumbsup.png

buggi

Bird Saviour
Hiya. That's a great help thanks! The sizing is one thing I absolutely have to get right this time. I ended up not riding my road bike at all because raising the saddle tipped me too far forward and longer rides were painful on my hands, which went numb and stayed that way for a few days.

I'm really pleased that you are enjoying the new cyclocross experience!

my road bike and my cyclocross are the same frame size! so sizing may depend on the manufacturer. I'm 6ft, both are a 58cm frame.

I really appreciate your advice! So, I have formally decided to buy a cyclocross, based on very useful advice and bike shop visit. I think now I shall go back and give a whirl in front of the shop.

Hopefully convention has now been restored!
whistling.gif

Thank you!
thumbsup.png

:bravo:

Norm

No prob, Scruffy. :thumbsup:

Take a test ride on a couple of bikes, take your time, hit the LBS with an open mind and just try alternatives, to make sure that you get the one which is right for you. Oh, I'd recommend calling them beforehand, so they can get a couple of alternative bikes ready, possibly also in a couple of different sizes.

Before Potsy says it, I took the Tricross for a test ride one Saturday morning in February last year. I called the LBS at around lunchtime to check it was ok if I kept it a bit longer, then I called them later in the afternoon to tell them they weren't getting it back and that I'd be in on the Monday with a cheque and to pick up a couple of accessories. :laugh:

I hope that you find the right bike, the one that suits you as well as mine suits me. :thumbsup:

(BTW, and to avoid any sudden catastrophic failures from stroppy machinery, I love the Talon and the Secteur too, and I happily take either if I know I'm sticking on or off the tarmac ;) )

Norm

Oh, and Buggi's post reminds me that the sizing varies between manufacturers and between styles, and it depends on a gazillion variables from inside leg to leg:body ratio to riding style to strength to fitness to... etc

I'm 5'11" with a 29" inside leg, my Secteur is a 54cm (one up from the smallest), my Tricross a 56cm (just above half way up their range) and my MTB a 20", which is one down from the largest.

my road bike and my cyclocross are the same frame size! so sizing may depend on the manufacturer. I'm 6ft, both are a 58cm frame.

:bravo:

I discovered the sizing issue the hard way. I sat on my hybrid before buying but didn't ride it and was told 18inch frame would be fine. I always felt it was a bit wrong but then I didn't really get on with the bike full stop. I bought the road bike off ebay and just assumed that I needed the same size. I rode it around for a while before my brother pointed out that the frame was a bit small and we raised the saddle. Now I know
rolleyes.gif

I've discovered that cycling is a whole load of exciting learning curves.
blush.gif

No prob, Scruffy. :thumbsup:

Take a test ride on a couple of bikes, take your time, hit the LBS with an open mind and just try alternatives, to make sure that you get the one which is right for you. Oh, I'd recommend calling them beforehand, so they can get a couple of alternative bikes ready, possibly also in a couple of different sizes.

Before Potsy says it, I took the Tricross for a test ride one Saturday morning in February last year. I called the LBS at around lunchtime to check it was ok if I kept it a bit longer, then I called them later in the afternoon to tell them they weren't getting it back and that I'd be in on the Monday with a cheque and to pick up a couple of accessories. :laugh:

I hope that you find the right bike, the one that suits you as well as mine suits me. :thumbsup:

(BTW, and to avoid any sudden catastrophic failures from stroppy machinery, I love the Talon and the Secteur too, and I happily take either if I know I'm sticking on or off the tarmac ;) )

Thanks Norm
thumbsup.png

I shall give the shop a call in the next couple of days and sort out a couple of test rides.

Will let you know what I end up buying
biggrin.gif

SoloRider

Über Member
Amazing, I seem to be following the latest fashion - cyclocross bikes!

I had been into race bikes and fixed gears for a good few years, then crossers seemed to make so much sense. When I saw a brand new Kona Jake for £470 delivered I simply had to have it. It is superb. Best fit I've had - very upright but I now admit that is a good thing. Also high up off the ground which is unsettling at first but gives you a good view!

It is quite heavy but that translates to a very solid feel. The forks add weight but I wouldn't change them for the world, they are very springy and reassuringly steel for the offroad moments.

I have a spare set of 105 wheels which I use with 28mm tyres for pure road riding, however the rims are slightly different so there is a tweak of the cantis required when swapping.

Still waiting for a Secteur Elite through cycle scheme, however I like the idea of 1 bike that does it all - I think that takes over from the fixed gear purity thing. So oddly I'm not looking forward to getting the spesh at the moment - would it be a crime to forgo it?

benb

Evidence based cyclist
This has convinced me that I've made the right choice with a Genesis Croix de Fer.
Haven't got it yet, but later this year, definitely.

Top Bottom