Cyclocross v Road bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hello. I haven't posted here for a wee while but been reading everyday
wave.gif

I'm after some advice. I am in the process of selling my current road bike because the frame is a little small for me and it's become a bit uncomfortable - shame. I've been researching cyclocross bikes and saw a lovely one last week but I've got used to a road bike.

I generally ride on the road. I'm doing a couple of big rides over the next year for charity (end to end this year; attempting hard endurance ride next year). I'm after a bike that will happily cope with shoddy roads as well as decent ones. I have no plans to do any full on off roading - just riding around everywhere I can.

So I'm a little unsure what type of bike to go for and it's come down to cyclocross or road.

I've graduated through two bikes over the last year (hybrid to road) and am now looking for the ideal one, and will get fitted for size properly! I have vaguely entertained getting the cyclocross and attempting to build a road bike - that might be stupid as never done it before. Mind you so's what I want to do next year.

I already know what make I want - Giant - so that bits sorted.

Sorry if this is a really daft question.

Norm

I can't say what you should do, just what I would do.

To set the scene, amongst other older rides I have a Giant Talon hard-tail, a Specialized Secteur road bike and a Spezialized Tricross cx bike.

If I was to just have one bike, it would be a cx-style bike, it just feels right for me as a year-round, all-road & most-trails bike. It just gets on with the job without me needing to think about where I'm going or the surfaces I'm riding. It is comfortable over distances, capable on mud, competent on tarmac, it ignores the road surface and just lets me get on with riding.

Don't get me wrong, I love having the MTB and the roadie but, even with those, most of my miles are done on the cx.

It's not for everyone, if you never leave the tarmac then you may never need the stronger wheels and 32c treaded tyres. If you are young and fit then you may never need the 32-tooth ring on the rear. If you never ride in the wet, then the mudguard clearances may be irrelevant. If you never want to just go for a ride rather than giving it 100% everywhere, then the comfort from the taller head tube and longer wheel-base will never be a factor.

For me, though, I love it. If I was restricted to one bike, it would be a cx-style bike. I'd still recommend the Tricross but it's a year old now and there are newer models with disc brakes and hub gears, potentially making the bike even more appealing.

IMO. :biggrin:

Norm

:biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: Sorry, David, it's kinda tough to admit it out loud as I do love the "task-specific" rides, but my cycling doesn't always just stick to one surface and, even if it does, grabbing the Tricross for any ride is the easiest thing to do.

frank9755

Cyclist
For long rides on road you want something that is fast but comfortable, with clearances to take 28mm tyres and mudguards. An audax bike is likely to fit the bill a little bit better on both counts than a cyclocross.

On a parallel thread on the same subject someone posted that Wiggle is currently selling the Ridgeback Horizon for <£500 - but there are plenty of other options depending, as ever, on how much you want to spend.

Pigo

After much research & deliberation I recently got myself a cyclocross - its the best decision i've made in a long time! I'm as happy wandering the forest tracks as I am doing the road miles to get there :rolleyes:

buggi

Bird Saviour
i've got a carbon road bike and i've just bought a 2nd hand cyclocross (alu frame).

It came with 23c road tyres, as the guy had it set up for the road. i bought some 32c marathons because i think they suit the bike better, as the 23c did look a bit skinny for the bike. I haven't done a full commute to work yet (25 mile) but i have done a half commute to the station (12.5 miles) and my time is pretty much the same. I could have put 28c on or even 25c but i wanted fattish tyres on this one as i also have my carbon road bike. Anyway, my times are similar although i do notice that it's harder on my legs (with the fatter tyres there is more rolling resistance so i have to pedal all the time LOL)

I suppose what i'm trying to say is, if you buy the cyclocross you won't be disappointed as you can change the tyres round to what you want to suit you at any time so you can have skinny or fat tyres (even if the skinny's do look a bit ...er... skinny LOL). if you buy a road bike, it's a road only machine and you can't put fat tyres on it.

The other day i hit a massive pothole (well, it was a series of massive potholes that i just couldn't avoid) and i was glad i had fat tyres on to absorb the impact.

if i could only have one bike, i'd probably go for the cross for this reason.

Norry1

Legendary Member
The new 2011 Boardman Cross Team looks like a good bike - may be interested in this year's C2W.

Martin

Paul.G.

Just a bloke on a bike!
Just built my second cross bike, Gunnar Crosshairs which are hand built in the US

I just love em for that "go almost anywhere" option - rack, guards, what more could you ask for

Paul.G.

DTD

Veteran
Just built my second cross bike, Gunnar Crosshairs which are hand built in the US

I just love em for that "go almost anywhere" option - rack, guards, what more could you ask for

Paul.G.

Something to aspire to!

My main bike is a crosser – so far I've not regretted it.

ACS

Legendary Member
Standing up to be lambasted by unbelievers I now have 2 Tricross Sports. :ohmy:

Got my first one (56cm frame) via C2W and now use that for commuting on, mudguards, rack panniers the lot. Must weight about 30kg.

My original commuter was a Sirrus 2006 sport which I broke in December 10. Someone mentioned over lunch that they had seen me on a different bike. When I explained why someone mentioned they had one for sale, 09 Sport (58cm frame), original spec, less than 500 miles and he wanted less than £200 for it. Went to the ATM and the deal weas done before he changed his mind.

I've have upgraded some bits on it, Roval Pave wheel set, Brooks B17, carbon seat post and plan to use it as an Audax /GP bike.

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
i have had my cx bike approx 9 weeks now and i've done over 1200 miles on it. i prefer the shorter reach of the cx bike as i've come from mtb via a folder (brompton).

i was worried that i'd made a mistake, but, i needed the cx clearance for winter (all year all weather commuter).

i've done 3 x 100 miles plus on it with skinny tyres, it was so comfy, no aches or pains. i kept up with the road bikes downhill, the only downside is the compact chainset, but my legs are adapting to this. there are plenty of cx bikes with triples tho.

i've since tried a few fellow chatters road bikes and i feel way too stretched out.

don't forget tho, most cx bikes have a higher ground clearance to the bb and you may have to go for a smaller frame. i'm 6ft and i got the medium and it feels perfect. hope that helps.

Wow, I didn't expect so many replies - thank you so much!! Sorry I didn't get back sooner, having problems staying logged in on the forum. Plus I sold my road bike today so have spent a lot of time sorting out delivering it to the buyer. All done so bikeless now (although do have my old hybrid but don't like riding it).

Norm - I saw your post last night and wanted to say a huge THANK YOU!! It was a brilliant response and sold me on cyclocross
thumbsup.png

Thanks a lot to everyone else - your postive replys have all really helped and it's great to hear other people's experiences!

One of my local bike shops has just started selling Giant bikes which I was introduced to a week ago. I was shown two of their cyclocross bikes and they are beautiful (erm, can you say that about bikes?). The guy was brilliant and I know I can put thinner tyres on if wanted.

So all in all decision made, that is, until Aduax bikes were mentioned. This has sent me scuttling back to the internet where, oddly, I ended right back to Giant's site. Erm, decision now a little muddy as have just found one I like. Bugger!

i have had my cx bike approx 9 weeks now and i've done over 1200 miles on it. i prefer the shorter reach of the cx bike as i've come from mtb via a folder (brompton).

i was worried that i'd made a mistake, but, i needed the cx clearance for winter (all year all weather commuter).

i've done 3 x 100 miles plus on it with skinny tyres, it was so comfy, no aches or pains. i kept up with the road bikes downhill, the only downside is the compact chainset, but my legs are adapting to this. there are plenty of cx bikes with triples tho.

i've since tried a few fellow chatters road bikes and i feel way too stretched out.

don't forget tho, most cx bikes have a higher ground clearance to the bb and you may have to go for a smaller frame. i'm 6ft and i got the medium and it feels perfect. hope that helps.

Hiya. That's a great help thanks! The sizing is one thing I absolutely have to get right this time. I ended up not riding my road bike at all because raising the saddle tipped me too far forward and longer rides were painful on my hands, which went numb and stayed that way for a few days.

I'm really pleased that you are enjoying the new cyclocross experience!

Top Bottom