Should I sell my road bike..

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Leemi1982

Probably get shot down for this🤣
Thinking of selling my specialized allez and keeping my hybrid trek fx, as I’ve been comparing them lately down to the type of riding I do, cycling down back muddy roads I find my road bike slides around a lot more and if hitting a pot hole on the rough roads it’s pretty much game over.

Im not a racer nor do I check my speeds and time just like to take gentle bike rides.
I know most people do it the other way around upgrading to road bikes from hybrids. I just feel a bit greedy and would like the space by selling one?

Worried my my regret tho

vickster

Legendary Member
You can always buy another if you do have regrets. Used bike prices are pretty low for older models though so it may just make sense to keep at least for summer. Maybe you can fit a fatter/gripper tyre too

Last edited:

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
I'm sort of coming out the other side of a similar dilemma. My placcy road bike is a pretty faultless, fast ride. However, of the c. 8.5k miles I've done over the past four years only maybe 200 miles have been on the road bike with the rest on the gravel / tourer / folder.

While nice the road bike is a one-trick pony (one purpose on one surface) while (when not commuting) my default choice is my tourer as many journeys are utility-focussed, and when I do go out for the sake of it I'm more concerned by versatility and comfort than speed.

Shame as it's a nice bike, but the numbers speak for themselves. IMO if there's no sentimental attachment, you aren't using it and don't see that you will in future, then what's the point of keeping it?

The only slight caveat might be that bike prices are on the floor currently so you likely won't get a lot for it.. I suppose one reason to hang onto it if you don't need the space back.

Last edited:

Cycleops

Legendary Member
No need to apologise. Sounds like the hybrid is perfect for the sort of riding you do. For the minimalists amoungst us I commend you. The only other things you need more than one of are shorts, trousers, shirts, shoes and boxers (or Y fronts in @Drago 's case).

All uphill

Still rolling along
Whatever you feel comfortable on is the bike to keep, imo. Comfortable physically and mentally.

I feel completely at home on my steel tourer; less so previously on lightweight road bikes. They ended up collecting cobwebs and then being sold.

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
May depend on the area you live, or perhaps what you are selling. I have found prices surprisingly high in the (approx) Bristol, Gloucester, Bath triangle.

Thanks - that's interesting... want to buy a bike? :tongue:

fritz katzenjammer

Der Ubergrosserbudgie
While I have specialized stuff around which only gets out once in a while I also find that the comfortable bikes get the most use. The problem with selling it is that you don’t get much for used hardware and selling is a pain, if you have the space you can always keep it around for the occasional fun blast. It’s not like they go bad.

Kingfisher101

Ãœber Member
I'd sell it but for a sensible price, not one where you are getting ripped off.
If you cant sell it for a sensible price then I'd keep it.
So many low ballers and idiots on FB marketplace and Gumtree etc.
If you do sell it I'd advertise it to local clubs first. Loads of people would ride that bike, its a popular model.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
I'd sell it but for a sensible price, not one where you are getting ripped off.
If you cant sell it for a sensible price then I'd keep it.
So many low ballers and idiots on FB marketplace and Gumtree etc.
If you do sell it I'd advertise it to local clubs first. Loads of people would ride that bike, its a popular model.

or even on here , it might get interest if its the right size and what someone is looking for .

Top Bottom