Should I replace my Orbea Mundaka?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gillstay

Über Member
Thank you for the replies, reflecting on them I think I have clarified in my mind what is happening.

If the bike repaired itself I would continue to enjoy riding it. I think that the frame is sound, if that was not the case from my understanding it is time to replace. In the long view it is cheaper to ride this than to run the car every day even if I pay for an artisan to build me some nice wheels.

This thread has clarified that I want to replace the wheels, but not how I want to go about it.
It also has made me realise that I have two other rides that need some workshop time and it is this that I am putting off.

I would still just buy a set of wheels second hand, with the hubs you want. I bet you can get a good set for £200 if you look around for a bit.

Ajax Bay

Guru
I would still just buy a set of wheels second hand, with the hubs you want. I bet you can get a good set for £200 if you look around for a bit.
Think the OP would struggle to get a Nexus hubbed rear wheel. And even if they could, we've seen their concern that the current hub, 8 years old, may give up soon (unclear why the OP thinks that).
You can bet all you like but why not provide an example of one that's been sold: condition reasonable (for a commuting bike): 700c rim, maybe disc brakes maybe rim. [Edit: I have looked :becool:]
Seems to me this is just relacing a wheel, just maybe with a new rim and consider a hub service in due course.

Last edited:

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
Ryde Sputnik rims are £25ea at SPA; I have one on the back of my tourer that was apparently built by SPA and has been true and generally faultless for the 1.5k miles I've put on it so far.

Spokes are anything between £0.30 and £0.85ea, nipples starting at £0.08 although some spokes include them apparently. Could probably have the bits to rebuild the wheels yourself for maybe £150 :smile:

Gillstay

Über Member
Think the OP would struggle to get a Nexus hubbed rear wheel. And even if they could, we've seen their concern that the current hub, 8 years old, may give up soon (unclear why the OP thinks that).
You can bet all you like but why not provide an example of one that's been sold: condition reasonable (for a commuting bike): 700c rim, maybe disc brakes maybe rim.
Seems to me this is just relacing a wheel, just maybe with a new rim and consider a hub service in due course.

Right I will see if I can find a set. ^_^

Top Bottom