England : Northumberland Cyclone this Saturday!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AndyRM

XOXO
Looking forward to taking on the 100 mile challenge this year. Had a disastrous attempt at the 60 mile route in 2011 so am hoping for a bit more luck this year.

Anyone else on here having a shot at it? What sort of time are you aiming for, and more importantly, what bike will you be on? A friend and I recently bought carbon frames but his headset won't transfer to his new fork and mine hasn't arrived from Ribble yet. Both a bit disappointed but neither have done quite enough training to do our expensive new kit any justice.

Chapeau to all participants!

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
I'll be there, doing the 100 too (my 4th time). On a red Giant. Good luck! Hope the roads are ok, someone posted on facebook site that some roads looking bit knacked after yesterday's deluge!!

carolonabike

I was really looking forward to doing the 60 route again year but I'm injured so won't be there. I'm very disappointed as I would have been on my new carbon Cube and I was targeting a sub 5 which after our 200 mile Coast & Castles trip last week I was pretty confident about.

Mr Carolonabike is doing the 100 on his carbon Boardman and is hoping to do better than last year when he indulged in some falling off and drinking out of a ditch :laugh:

neslon

It's looking ok weather wise after yesterday's biblical events. Best to get an early start as there might be showers by the afternoon. The word is theres lots of loose gravel on the roads. Give me a shout as you pass me. I'm the old fat bloke on a red and white Pinarello and wearing the usual blue & yellow Marbella MTB kit. I'm doing the 100mile one.

OP
OP
AndyRM

AndyRM

XOXO
Nice one folks! I'll be on my Bianchi and my mate Carl on his TDF. If we see any of you we'll say hello!

Have heard about the gravel and debris situation. Hoping it doesn't make things too hard on tyres and tubes. Fingers crossed!

carolonabike

Well, I changed my mind and decided to do it and I'm glad I did. It was a lovely day and after riding the first mile or so with my rear brake rubbing on the tyre (very hard work) I had no further problems. The roads seemed fine apart form a couple of huge potholes, I rode all the way up the Ryals :thumbsup: (unlike last year) and finished in 5.09 (20mins faster than last year). I had been hoping for a sub 5 but given the windy conditions I'm pretty pleased.
It was great to see so many people out having a great time.

OP
OP
AndyRM

AndyRM

XOXO
Good times Hip Priest and Carol!

My wife and her pal got round in 6.36. Given that she has only started cycling 'properly' in the last few months she's well chuffed and I'm proud of her. They got interviewed by British Cycling as well!!

I had a less successful day. My tyre split about two miles after the feed station at Elsdon. Called the emergency number and Dave from Steels sorted me with a new tyre and tube. Legend. Unfortunately that had taken an hour and a half out my day so I just came back on the A696 for the sake of speed.

Still got 100 miles in which is 20 short of what I had planned, but still a distance I have never covered in a day.

Already planning my training for next year, will involve a lot more hill riding so that I can keep up with my mate Carl who can genuinely kick f-ck out a hill.

Hip Priest

Veteran
I had a less successful day. My tyre split about two miles after the feed station at Elsdon. Called the emergency number and Dave from Steels sorted me with a new tyre and tube. Legend. Unfortunately that had taken an hour and a half out my day so I just came back on the A696 for the sake of speed.

Harsh luck mate. I saw quite a few mechanicals on my way round, so I considerd myself very lucky. The only unscheduled stop I had to make was when all my gels fell out of my saddle bag by the Airport about 2 miles in!

Well done on doing the ton though.

I too will be concentrating on hills. At over 16 stone and with no granny ring I tend to struggle. Still, I was pleased to get up all the hills without stopping, except for the first Ryal hill, which is always too much for me! Kudos to those that can do it.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
Did the 104... evil b@staad headwind from the south :wacko::eek: I actually had to pedal pretty much all the way DOWN to Elsdon from Billsmoor, and most of the bigger hills after that were against a headwind, both up and down. My 4th time doing the 100+, and the most difficult. Riding time of 7hr30mins, plus stopping time of 1hr30 (I don't usually stop foir longer than 5 mins or so at the 4 feed stops, but was so knacked yesterday, I took my time, sat down, had coffee etc in 2 places, and made an extra stop at the CoOp in Bellingham to get something to eat that was savoury, rather than bars, bananas, energy drinks etc. I had two Scotch Eggs, which did the trick nicely :thumbsup:

Hip Priest

Veteran
Did the 104... evil b@staad headwind from the south :wacko::eek: I actually had to pedal pretty much all the way DOWN to Elsdon from Billsmoor, and most of the bigger hills after that were against a headwind, both up and down. My 4th time doing the 100+, and the most difficult. Riding time of 7hr30mins, plus stopping time of 1hr30 (I don't usually stop foir longer than 5 mins or so at the 4 feed stops, but was so knacked yesterday, I took my time, sat down, had coffee etc in 2 places, and made an extra stop at the CoOp in Bellingham to get something to eat that was savoury, rather than bars, bananas, energy drinks etc. I had two Scotch Eggs, which did the trick nicely :thumbsup:

Well done on getting round. My friends who did the 104 route said it was pretty tough up Troughend common. I wish I'd had some savoury food too. I had two energy bars, two gels, a flapjack, two bottles of powerade, a SIS recovery drink and a Snickers out of my goody bag. Overdid it a bit! The result being that I didn't fall asleep 'til 3am and probably now have diabetes.

carolonabike

Mr carolanbike had a tough day too. He had two spare tubes but got three rear wheel punctures and lost so much time waiting for help that I ended up going to pick him up so he was a dnf. He said the wind was really tough over Billsmoor. He also got a couple of soakings. I felt a bit guilty having had such a nice time. I've suggested he come with me next year instead.

perplexed

Guru
Well, despite being out of condition, under prepared and a stone heavier than I want to be, I'm proud to say I got round the 65 miler (or whatever it actually was, my ticket at the end said 67...) with no dramas thankfully.

There were some quite wicked patches of gravel around, and I noticed that there was often someone repairing a puncture just after them.

I'm glad everyone seems to have enjoyed it! The wind was a bit of a bugger though wasn't it?

I wasn't aiming for any particular time, but my overall was a bit over 5 hours, so I was happy with that.

The bit I was absolutley pumped about, and I've been boring the wife about ever since, was making it over both the Ryals without stopping!! :wahhey:

Great ride, hope I can make it back next year!

TheSandwichMonster

Junior Senior
I think I've been spoilt by other rides I've done this year. I was really looking forward to it, especially when it was clear that the weather was going to be pretty kind, and in the end I just thought it was a bit "meh". I was down for the 104, but was only up for the weekend visiting family and I didn't want to spend all my time out riding and ignoring them, so I ended up turning left at Forestburn and doing the 63 instead.

The route itself was great. Really enjoyed it, the scenery and the roads that it ran on. Whomever came up with it (am I right in thinking it's Gosforth RC?) gets kudos. Sure there were some holes and gravel patches, but that's only to be expected after the weather in the week. I'd made the smart decision to change to monster truck tyres following the previous week's puncture-fest on the Dartmoor Classic, and although they rolled like lead hoops through molasses, they certainly kept the fairy at bay.

The staff seemed largely indifferent for the most part, certainly around Kingston Park itself. Despite there being dozens of people wearing the red Virgin Money tops, very few of them seemed to be doing anything. I was milling around for a while before somebody seemed to notice that there were a lot of people who seemed to be trying to get through to the start and decided it might be an idea of telling us how to get there. I saw a fair few fully engaged in their mobiles and not paying any attention to the riders at all. Not a massive thing, I suppose, but it's important. Sign on on Friday in Leazes Park was similar - it all felt a little disorganised and under-prepared.

The start was odd... There's a big funnel of riders corralled towards the line, but then you get all the other people who can't be bothered to head to the back pushing in along the sides. Then you have a timing system that needs to be manually scanned, so when you get called forward your clock is already ticking before you cross the line. Again, minor, but people are precious about these things. The rider briefing consisted of a short warning about the state of the roads following the bad weather... I know I'm at fault for not taking the time to read through the ride manual the night before, but truth be told I'd accidentally left it at home in Devon. What would have gone down well would've been a reminder of what the route signs looked like, and which route each of the 3 coloured arrows corresponded to. That's just common sense as far as I'm concerned. As it was, I didn't even notice a route marker sign until probably 10 or 15 miles... fair enough I was in a massive bunch of riders, but they're pretty small until you know what to look for.

As I've already said, the route was good. Traffic was patient (as far as I saw) and there was no silliness. I was in a nice big bunch of riders getting pulled along at a good 20+. There wasn't a lot of talking going on, but people were polite. I saw a chap wearing a Dartmoor Classic jersey, and so I pulled alongside to have a few words as I'd done it the week before. Turned out that it was someone that I'd been talking to on Facebook! I was surprised that there were no marshals on the route: Again, I don't think the ride really suffered because of it, but it just seems sensible to me. The first feed was well stocked - I was in one of the first groups to arrive at it and the cadets there did an absolute sterling job in getting people's chips scanned, and handing out food and drink. I nabbed a bottle of powerade and a 'nana, before pausing to refill my one empty bottle. The customary barrel of watered-down sports drink was even more watered down than ever, so I ended up dumping a sachet of my own in to top it off.

Forestburn Gate arrived, and once I'd clarified with another ride which route corresponded with the black and blue arrows, I voted with my head and turned left onto the 63 mile route. I was quite pleased to recognise some of the roads that I'd ridden when I'd been up visiting in March. Clearly most of the group that I had been riding with had turned right, and so there was only a small group of maybe four of us plodding along the 63 route, up a hill and into the teeth of a headwind. Still, the sun was out, and the scenery was nice. I fell in alongside a chap on a Cannondale and had a bit of a chat before he decided to hang back to wait for his wife. I decided to press on and did so solo, chasing an ever-elusive black-shirted rider in the far distance (I never did catch him!) The route was gently undulating but not too painful, though the wind saw to it that it was slower than usual going. I started to see signs for Ryal, and so I guessed I was approaching "The Ryals", the hills that everyone had been telling me about in the build up. To be honest, I found them a bit of a let down. They were certainly steep, but there's hardly anything to them. I did pass one guy pushing to the top of the first though.

At the top was another feed station. Except it wasn't. Well it was, but it wasn't an official feed stop, but nobody told me until after I'd accepted a banana, only to be told they were running it to make money for the local church. Bit of a con, but what the heck... I paid up and moved on, soon arriving at the actual feed stop at Stamfordham. I paused long enough to just register my time chip, before moving on. Shortly along the way, I happened upon another rider who was not only going at pretty much my pace, but was also up for a bit of a chat. Man who's name I forgot to ask, but who was wearing red & black Oakleys, thank you for the conversation and company - you made the last part of the ride far more enjoyable. We hacked our way through the lanes back toward the finish at a decent pace, only being passed by the Rapha team who were clearly out doing a training ride ahead of the following day's road race.

Back at Kingston Park, we were yet again completely ignored by a marshal, who made eye contact and then looked down at the floor. As a result we both went to the wrong entrance and had to backtrack to the finish to have our final times registered. After that I was ignored by another couple of red-topped "trainers", one of whom was too busy texting to notice me. Finally I found someone willing to point me in the right direction to hand back my timing chip and collect my goody bag. I registered a 3:49 (versus the moving time on my Garmin of 3:34), which I was well pleased with, though I wish now that I'd pushed on a bit harder in places.

Like I say, there was nothing particularly "wrong" with the ride... There were just a lot of little things that could've been done better I think, which felt like a bit of a shame to me.

carolonabike

Nice writeup Sandwich monster, I do agree with the slightly disinterested air of some of the staff at the rugby ground. I put it down to their youth, they all looked like students to me and I assume it was a bit early in the day for them ^_^.
I logged onto the Cyclone website this afternoon and the results are up. I was looking at the 104 times and thought the winner's times looked slightly... unusual. He checked in at the first checkpoint 15 mins behind the second placed rider, at Elsdon he was 45 minutes behind. There was no time logged for either Wark or Stamfordham but he finished 30 seconds ahead of the second placed rider. He must have been going like a train to make up that much time?

Top Bottom