Cyprus Advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
I went cycling in Cyprus a few years ago for 10 days with the army. Famagusta is well worth a day out, I preferred that side to be honest. The driving isn’t the best Cypriot side and I was told by the boss over there to keep an eye out for drivers who may well of had a beverage or two!
Rode up Troodos, Jesus it was hard work!
It can be very different in temperature as already mentioned, be careful of landslide too on the road. Even as a 30 yo singly I avoided aya napa like the plague, dump!

Yes, the drink/drive situation was very different on our first trip in '92. Everyone who left the restaurant up in Peya village inland of Paphos at 2-3am was let's say very merry.

Last edited:

gbb

Legendary Member
If you do hire a car go up Troodus mountain but give yourself plenty of time, & take it STEADY!

Also, if you go up the Trodos mountains, take extra warm clothing/blankets: no matter the temperature at sea level, it's freezing up there :cold:

I dont remember getting up (or down from) Troops too bad, but then it was in the mid/late Noughties) so my memory might be off.
Temperature difference...it may depend on the time of year you go up there. I used to work out there a lot and remember going up Troodos in probably January or maybe March / April and laughed inwardly at the locals who were coated and gloved up...I was in a T shirt and maybe light jumper despite the snow. In summer, the differential probably makes a huge difference.
Yes the Cypriots are really friendly, authentic tavernas are fabulous nights, they really really know how to enjoy themselves on a night out.

Top Bottom