Dachau today

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

clid61

Veteran
Still humbling , not been here since 40 years when I lived here ...
WP_20151204_10_39_43_Pro.jpg
WP_20151204_10_41_44_Pro.jpg
WP_20151204_10_45_35_Pro.jpg
WP_20151204_11_33_30_Pro.jpg
WP_20151204_12_00_46_Pro.jpg
WP_20151204_10_39_43_Pro.jpg
WP_20151204_10_41_44_Pro.jpg

OP
OP
clid61

clid61

Veteran
Mods please move pic of today , cocked up ta

sidevalve

Über Member
A very sad time in human history BUT we must remember it could happen again in a moment if the circumstances were right and literally anybody of any race creed or colour could be responsible.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Dachau has so many similarities with Auschwitz. The entrance, the arbeit sign, tracks, etc.

But the concentration camps dont have the feeling they once had. They are now places of historical interest and are set up as such.

I visited Belsen for the first time over 30 years ago. Before they built the state of the art visitors centre, Cinema and computerised archive centre.

All that was there was a small wooden chalet with a few photos and a guide who insisted it was a propoganda thing by the allies. All these years later I recall what a grim, depressingly sad and hopeless place it was. It was hell on Earth, just to visit the place.

But that feel is not there anymore. I hope it isnt me that has changed.

sidevalve

Über Member
Sadly I believe most history today is 'sanitised' for the delicate eyes/ears of this generation. As a crude example the true grinding poverty of the victorian poor in Britain where children worked 12 hour shifts in mines and mills for a crust and were regarded as expendable commodities [even slaves had to be bought - poor children were more or less free] and life expectancy was under 25 years is usually 'glossed over'. Similarly the extermination of the American plains indian is also 'avoided' [although the true story is slowly starting to appear]. I agree the truth should be there to see not a cleaned up fantasy but it should be clear that this is the past - guilt only breeds hate.

Vertego

Just reflecting on the meaning of life.
I recall my wife & I visiting Dachau about 25+years ago. A chilling visit but one that I'm glad we made. I don't believe the true impression can be gained from books or TV - the place itself brings it into sharp context.

A thing that I recall from our visit was the coachloads of Italian school children. It is important to learn from history.

Top Bottom