Dacia Duster

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
My stepdaughter is considering buying a 2014 Duster to replace her Citroen C1 as she needs more room in the boot for her two dogs.
She has spotted one for sale locally and wants me to go with her to see it so what should I look for?
What is the fuel consumption for a 1.2 and 1.6 ?

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
She has spotted one for sale locally and wants me to go with her to see it so what should I look for?

Explain you don’t know what you’d be looking for and no point joining her?

OP
OP
gavroche

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
I mean any particular mechanical weaknesses when test driving it? I will check the colour of exhaust fumes, emergency braking to see if pulling to one side, steering etc ... of course but anything else?
Basically, I am calling existing Duster owners and asking for their views on the car.

Last edited:

CXRAndy

Guru
Renault, build them in cheap labour country, use simple well established electrics and mechanicals. They have fair reliability record, just a poor street kudos or cred.

If you're familiar looking at vehicles, body work-rust, accident signs, engine, coolant, brake and suspension leaks. Then you have checking cooling for overheating fans work etc. aircon if it has it- working making cold air and not noisy compressor. Then starting, easy, quick starting, sign of good battery starter. Driving, smooth quiet, no groans squeaks rattles etc. service and MOT history, cam belts, oil/filter changes, brakes services.

Finally reasons for sale- are they genuine, nice property. Or if dealer reputable?

Little bit of advice, if buying from dealer-pay £500 on credit card for deposit.

Story

My neighbour- didn't ask me to go and look at car, his wife bought same car as my daughter thinking it is a good car (VW Polo) it is if you maintain it. Got stiffed by shark of a 2nd hand car dealer with total scam with dodgy engine. Paid via bank transfer total amount. Could have saved himself months legal court hassle(they won), but still hasn't got his money despite bailiffs going around.

Pay with credit card, lots of protection.

vickster

Legendary Member
iirc @Fab Foodie has one.
But may be wrong

And @cyberknight has a Dacia I think

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
My folks have had a Stepway for 3-4 years and it's been fine. Bit basic, but nothing to go wrong TBH and they share engines with Renault/Nissan. Petrol if doing lower miles.

As CXR says, look for any accident damage, have a ride in it/drive it. Check condition of pads and discs !

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
This has been discussed before, it gets marked down on the brakes because the system is not fully up to date.

This - Dacia sell the cars with less 'idiot driver kit' in them, so get marked down with NCAP. TBH, I don't want lane warning, haven't needed radar brake assist etc. My BIL has this all switched off in his car and the bleeping is annoying.

It's part of the Dacia marketing, giving you stuff you do want in the price bracket. And I don't blame them, cars are becoming too complicated and needing dealers to turn off a warning.

Top Bottom