DAD

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gary r

Guru
spelt out in flowers next to the road on my commute home,Really saddened me last night on my ride home,There have been 2 deaths on the same stretch of road (within a mile of each other)in the last few weeks!!:blush:

Commuter

That is really sad.
Any idea as to the cause, were they cyclists ?

GrahamG

Guru
Do you ever go past an incident with loads of flowers where someone has died and everyone knows that they were speeding excessively or driving dangerously? There have been a couple in my local area over the last few years, and although I know it's soooo wrong, I just think a better message could be sent out if they printed details of the accident and the flowers spelt T.W.A.T*

*yes I realise how potentially offensive this is, but in one case flowers have been stuck to this one tree that a biker hit at about 60mph (30 limit road) for years - I feel sorry for the people whose house is outside that have to put up with a daily reminder that someone killed themselves outside their front door.

OP
OP
G

gary r

Guru
Both deaths were on a 40mph stretch of straight road!!! The police are often out with speed cameras (every couple of weeks)& i agree,Speeding is often the cause.But still, a life has been lost & a family is suffering.

domtyler

Über Member
GrahamG said:
Well hopefully such an emotive emblem will make driver think a little....

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha....

There is always the immidiate assumption, especially if the driver is young that they were either high/drunk/speeding or some combination of the three.

The accident that took the lives of three of my friends happened on a straight section of road at 60mph. We were in a national speed limit section of A-road, late at night after my gf's 18th birthday. Two were drunk, I was mostly sober and the driver was totally sober - not just legally sober i.e. under the drink-drive limit, totally dry.

It was reported in the local newspapers that he had lost control of the car whilst speeding, and they suggested that he had been drinking. Local parents shunned his mother who had the reckless drink driving boy racer son, and there was constant name calling and shouted abuse at him.

The crash was caused by a blow out.

I know that assumptions are based (at least should be based) on what commonly happens, so it was natural for people to assume he was an idiot. But they shouldn't, no-one knows what happened or why apart from a very small number, so they shouldn't make a judgement.

Grr, I'm not ranting at anyone here, just in general. A couple of posts just reminded me of it.

ChrisW

GrahamG said:
Do you ever go past an incident with loads of flowers where someone has died and everyone knows that they were speeding excessively or driving dangerously? There have been a couple in my local area over the last few years, and although I know it's soooo wrong, I just think a better message could be sent out if they printed details of the accident and the flowers spelt T.W.A.T*

*yes I realise how potentially offensive this is, but in one case flowers have been stuck to this one tree that a biker hit at about 60mph (30 limit road) for years - I feel sorry for the people whose house is outside that have to put up with a daily reminder that someone killed themselves outside their front door.

Yep, the flowers are still there in the King Road from an accident involving a Merc and a Taxi about 4 weeks ago where the Merc driver died.

Riding past in the morning, it was clear that the Merc must have been doing a good 60 mph+ the way it had skidded across the road, and then be sliced apart and demolished in the impact.

I felt sorry for the taxi driver and i don't often say that.

domtyler

Über Member
Jacomus-rides-Gen said:
There is always the immidiate assumption, especially if the driver is young that they were either high/drunk/speeding or some combination of the three.

The accident that took the lives of three of my friends happened on a straight section of road at 60mph. We were in a national speed limit section of A-road, late at night after my gf's 18th birthday. Two were drunk, I was mostly sober and the driver was totally sober - not just legally sober i.e. under the drink-drive limit, totally dry.

It was reported in the local newspapers that he had lost control of the car whilst speeding, and they suggested that he had been drinking. Local parents shunned his mother who had the reckless drink driving boy racer son, and there was constant name calling and shouted abuse at him.

The crash was caused by a blow out.

I know that assumptions are based (at least should be based) on what commonly happens, so it was natural for people to assume he was an idiot. But they shouldn't, no-one knows what happened or why apart from a very small number, so they shouldn't make a judgement.

Grr, I'm not ranting at anyone here, just in general. A couple of posts just reminded me of it.

You make a good point which is undeniable Jacomus. Unfortunately most accidents are not down to mechanical failure! :blush::angry:

Cycling through France a few years ago I was horrified and saddened to see how many life-size, black cardboard cut-outs of people there were along a relatively short stretch of road (about 30 km).
There must have been about 20 of these silhouettes symbolising a lost life. The saddest one was seeing 'two parents and three young children' who had apparantly just left a restaurant and were hit by a speeding car.

Top Bottom