Daft e-bay questions

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
it sounds like you are falling victim to my favourite game............ebay baiting!

Its all about asking stupid questions ......mainly when pissed. and i also normally go for foreign people as it makes for funnier replies:biggrin:

Kovu

Über Member
You should be lucky. My Gran got into an ebay arguement with one seller. Bought a tooth brush off her, and she went on about how she should consider life and everything, and how she must be scared to think about it. Strange.

I sold a 45 year old Volvo on ebay a few years ago. The chap who bought it emailed me a few days before the auction finished and asked "will it get to Brighton?" Well, I don't know. If you want to buy a 45 year old car, unseen, from some bloke off the internet and drive it from Wolverhampton to Brighton, that's fine by me, but don't expect to get any guarantees. Anyway, he arrived, handed over £650 in cash and departed. Come the next morning, I found a text message from him saying how he hadn't made it to Brighton and the dynamo had packed up and he'd had to get the RAC to tow him home ... well, sorry, but if I'd wanted to worry about that sort of thing I'd have kept it. A few days later (I didn't respond to the text) I had an email detailing all the stuff that a mechanic friend of his had told him was wrong with the car. Really, the time to discover that was before you handed the cash over, Ithought, and didn't respond to that one either. I haven't heard from him since, but beware, there's some oddballs on ebay.

PaulB

Legendary Member
You do need to ask lots of questions of e-bay vendors though. A girl I know bought a yellow belt she needed to go with some outfit she wanted to wear that weekend. She did indeed get the yellow belt as promised from the seller. It was a karate belt.

jonathan ellis

I just bought a suite advertised as 42" jacket 32" waist trousers. It arrived and they ain't 32" they are 36".
Strangely they don't fit!

PaulB

Legendary Member
jonathan ellis said:
I just bought a suite advertised as 42" jacket 32" waist trousers. It arrived and they ain't 32" they are 36".
Strangely they don't fit!

You've been mis-sold if you bought a suite and clothes turned up. Send it back or you'll have nowt to sit on!

Rhythm Thief said:
I sold a 45 year old Volvo on ebay a few years ago. The chap who bought it emailed me a few days before the auction finished and asked "will it get to Brighton?" Well, I don't know. If you want to buy a 45 year old car, unseen, from some bloke off the internet and drive it from Wolverhampton to Brighton, that's fine by me, but don't expect to get any guarantees. Anyway, he arrived, handed over £650 in cash and departed. Come the next morning, I found a text message from him saying how he hadn't made it to Brighton and the dynamo had packed up and he'd had to get the RAC to tow him home ... well, sorry, but if I'd wanted to worry about that sort of thing I'd have kept it. A few days later (I didn't respond to the text) I had an email detailing all the stuff that a mechanic friend of his had told him was wrong with the car. Really, the time to discover that was before you handed the cash over, Ithought, and didn't respond to that one either. I haven't heard from him since, but beware, there's some oddballs on ebay.

quite right........... caveat emptor 'buyer beware':biggrin:

he had a week to look at it beforehand.......i would.I will only bid blind if I am prepared to get a pig.......not literally:tongue:

yello

Is it just me that thinks it reasonable to answer potential buyers questions? Some of those questions User76 was asked seem ok to me.

Maz

Guru
User76 said:
"What is the measurement from armpit to armpit accross the back?"
I've asked that one before. The item for sale was a football shirt, which was described as size large. I wanted to compare the armpit-to-armpit measurement with shirts I already had, to make sure it was the right size.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Maz said:
I've asked that one before. The item for sale was a football shirt, which was described as size large. I wanted to compare the armpit-to-armpit measurement with shirts I already had, to make sure it was the right size.

+1 - with manufacturers definitions of "Large" varying so much between brands, it seems like common sense to me.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
Maz said:
yer, if you look at cycling shirts on there, there's usu a pit-to-pit measurement...

Panter

Just call me Chris...
Rhythm Thief said:
People who ask questions that you've already answered in some detail in the listing annoy me too.

+1

I usually respond politely with it being potential bidders, but on more than one occassion I've given the reply of "READ THE LISTING!!!"

Top Bottom