Daft mistake

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I think admitting a mistake/making an apology is important. Most of us aren't perfect and yes car drivers make mistakes too, but if they instantly express their regret we generally forget the incident fairly quickly rather than carrying on simmering about it in our mind. Hopefully they equally forgive as easily.

I'm constantly (well not continually) assessing my cycling and realising that I could have improved on whatever I just did, whether its positioning, when I signalled, looking etc. In fact I think my mistakes bring me back down to earth with a bump (not literally usually) to make me more focused.

OP
OP
M

magnatom

summerdays said:
I think admitting a mistake/making an apology is important. Most of us aren't perfect and yes car drivers make mistakes too, but if they instantly express their regret we generally forget the incident fairly quickly rather than carrying on simmering about it in our mind. Hopefully they equally forgive as easily.

I'm constantly (well not continually) assessing my cycling and realising that I could have improved on whatever I just did, whether its positioning, when I signalled, looking etc. In fact I think my mistakes bring me back down to earth with a bump (not literally usually) to make me more focused.

+1

Having made the mistake this morning it has reminded me to keep my focus. As you say, we all make mistakes, I'm just trying to learn from them, and to help others learn from them too.

thomas

the tank engine
magnatom said:
+1

Having made the mistake this morning it has reminded me to keep my focus. As you say, we all make mistakes, I'm just trying to learn from them, and to help others learn from them too.

You can let things go so much quicker if when people make a mistake they just put their hands up for it. It just calms a situation if you acknowledge it.

Sorry, but I might take this back in circles a bit.

A general point - Lane direction markings are advisory and frequently act against the safety interests of cyclists. As a cyclist it's sensible to be extremely wary of arrows in lanes. Other traffic isn't obliged to follow them and it would be foolish to assume that it would. A strong position approaching a junction for a cyclist will often involve being in the 'wrong' lane in order to cover the movements of other traffic.

OP
OP
M

magnatom

User3143 said:
This is almost as bad as Mags statement.

The bit in bold can you explain a bit more please.

He is quite correct. There is a roundabout I take that I take the inside lane on (closest to the roundabout) which has a right turn only advisory signal on it (indicating the exit after mine). According to the sign I should not be in that lane, however experience has shown me that if I take the left lane I am at greater risk of cars pulling out in front of me.

Are you going to reply to my comments on your previous post?

The best example would be a left turn filter lane except for buses that is frequently used by drivers to undertake a queue of traffic heading straight on. Technically a cyclist heading straight on should be in the first lane with a staight ahead arrow, however this would create conflict with buses and motorists passing on the inside and also take the cyclist out of the line of sight of this traffic and frequently result in the cyclist being passed on both sides. A safer option might be to control traffic from the left turn lane. The same problems would apply in a standard left filter. The arrangement of the lanes and traffic flow would dictate the best lane for a cyclist to take.

Another example would be large gyratory systems where traffic rarely follows the assigned lanes and a cyclist would be foolish to make themselves the only part of the traffic flow that obeys the markings if this would bring them into conflict with other traffic on several occassions more than they otherwise would.

OP
OP
M

magnatom

Lee, you make it difficult to quote you, by replying within a quote!

How, I dunno, it just does. Car drivers see you in the outside lane, probably think you are going slower, or that they can cross your path quicker than they actually can. Holding the inside lane prevents this. Just the way it is at that particular roundabout.

Ok, I said right instead of left. Two mistakes today. Now can you comment on it?

OP
OP
M

magnatom

User3143 said:
OK....you should have taken the correct lane. On the inside checking what traffic is doing and if it is turning right or is that left?:biggrin:

So your not going to answer the points I made. Fair enough. I wonder why in the past I have accused you of trolling.....?:wacko:

OP
OP
M

magnatom

User3143 said:
I thought you wanted my opinion of what I would do or did I miss something?

What points do you me want to answer?

Lee, I am all for opinions, why else would I post (although I also post my mistakes so others might avoid repeating them). However, you don't help yourself by suggesting people are being obtuse etc which only serves to raise hackles.

Have a look at post 17. I've asked a couple of questions and made a few statements. You just failed to comment on them, which makes it look like you are avoiding answering/commenting on them (although it might not be the case).

boydj

Legendary Member
I know that roundabout well and, even in a car, I regularly go straight on from the 'right turn only' lane because probably 95 % of the traffic heads left to the tunnel. The signing would be better to have the right lane for a straight through and right turn, especially since there is only a fraction of the traffic heading right, into the shipyard, these days, compared to when the roundabout was built. The situation is not helped by the number of drivers who just do not indicate a left turn these days so if you do go straight from the right lane, then you need to keep a close eye in the traffic on your inside.

And, btw, some of the nitpicking that goes on in this forum is just ridiculous.

Good move Mags, that's my kinda riding. Your only mistake was not moving to the outside of the lane and waving impatiently for him to go by and get out of your way so you could move back in which was your only option considering you really lack the speed to get back in before him :biggrin:

I made a mistake tonight in thinking a tithead of a motorist might stop when she was doing a right turn in front of me instead of doing the manouver of which the previous moton (a learner driver) had done previously @ Stepney Green.Cue evasive action and me calling her a twat.

goo_mason

Champion barbed-wire hurdler
Just watched the film for the first time, expecting something really bad from the way the comments have been heading.

Why all the fuss over nothing ? A silly mistake, acknowledged by the cyclist and the motorist. Can't we just leave it at that and move on ?

Top Bottom