daft pob

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
on my way in this morning, and on way in there is a footbridge over a busy main road. it's probably peds only by law, but i use it anyway, always making sure i give way to peds etc. you have to be really careful going down the ramps at either side, as there is a blind corner at the bottom.

anyway, was cautiously turning onto the ramp to go up, when some daft woman on a folder (no lights, helmet etc) came whizzing down and nearly clattered into me. so not only could she have caused a crash, but she'll probably do it again and hit a pedestrian, with the inevitable notice going up prohibiting cyclists from using the bridge. :sad:

i use the bridge to avoid 3 busy roundabouts, by the way.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
There is always one to spoil it for the rest !

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
I nearly flattened a guy coming out of Crewe on Tuesday - it's frightening how late people in dark clothing with no lights (the lights being the key, I reckon, although something refelctive would be better than nowt) become visible. Fortunately I was riding slow enough (and conditions were dry enough) for me to brake in time (he was heading towards me :sad: ).

Sounds like good riding from you to anticipate the presence of other people and be able to stop in time Alecs.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
FFS what is it with people writing stuff like no helmet=daft/irresponsible/etc? The lack of lights and the behaviour fine, but there's a reason there's a Great Helmet Debate.

Maz

Guru
This near-collision could clearly have been avoided if the woman was wearing a helmet. It would also not be windy day today if we were all hi-vizd. We throw caution to the wind by not wearing hi-viz/helmets and then wonder why these things happen.

OP
OP
alecstilleyedye

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
BentMikey said:
FFS what is it with people writing stuff like no helmet=daft/irresponsible/etc? The lack of lights and the behaviour fine, but there's a reason there's a Great Helmet Debate.

if she'd shown the same courtesy as i do on that bridge, the helmet would not be an issue. but if you are going to charge down a steep ramp into a blind corner, a helmet might be a good idea. btw she was not some chavette, but had the look of someone who ought to know better.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
The point is that the presence or lack of a helmet has nothing to do with how responsible a person is. It's about as relevant as commenting on her race.

Maz

Guru
BentMikey said:
The point is that the presence or lack of a helmet has nothing to do with how responsible a person is. It's about as relevant as commenting on her race.
Did she win?

Maz said:
Did she win?

:biggrin:. No she finished at exactly the same time as everyone else as they all had exactly the same capabilities.

(Phew, I think that was the politically correct answer :sad:)

OP
OP
alecstilleyedye

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
BentMikey said:

to be honest, it was a bit strange. i agree that a helmet is not a signifier (or otherwise) of a decent cyclist, i guess i just added that one on for good measure. i was curious as to why she was riding a folder. odd that someone would give consideration to buying that sort of bike (it's not like you can just go into halfords and get one) without giving a second thought to the other bits and pieces that are essential on a commuting bike.

i guess if she'd been pondlife on a knackered halfords abomination then i'd have just rolled eyes and thought no more of it.

Top Bottom