Dahon Jack - opinions?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Evenings!!
I'm looking for a folder that's more 'normal' than my Brommie M6R for touring.
On a well-known auction site I've come across new Dahon Jack frame and forks for £110, and I have an MTB to strip down for parts. Chuck new cables on, and potentially, that gives me a slicked-up 26" folding tourer for £120 and a day of fettling.
Anyone got a Jack? Is this as good as it seems, or am I looking at a whole World Of Hassle?
Over to you...

RecordAceFromNew

Swinging Member
Anyone got a Jack? Is this as good as it seems, or am I looking at a whole World Of Hassle?
Over to you...

Yeah I have one. It is an easy bike to work on with standard modern mtb configurations, and I like it far better than Dahon's Lockjaw frame, which I think is weaker yet have been built as serious tourers here and here.

Separately schocca of this parish has converted his Espresso (don't think there is much difference to the Jack frame-wise) for road here.

This might help you with sizing.

The only thing you might want to check before ordering is bb shell width (68mm), seatpost diameter and seat tube diameter for front mech (unless you run it as Nx1 like me). Also no discs. If you are interested in new 20 inch (large) frame only (no headset or forks, in metallic light blue) I know a source for the princely sum of £75.

OP
OP
TheDoctor

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
I'm probably going for 18", at £110 with forks and headset, but £75 for the frame is a bargain!!
Seatpost is 27.2, front mech 31.8 band on top pull, and a BB is fitted.
All sounds OK to me :thumbsup:

OP
OP
TheDoctor

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Later that evening...
OK, now had a chance to look at schocca's bike, and I also found your bike and comments.
It all sounds encouraging. The bike I'd strip for parts has served me well over the years, but was always just a bit small. I think I'd be running with a 40T and 12-32, but I also have a compact 50T-34T chainset that would go on - I'd just need an appropriate front mech, if I don't have one in the spares heap.
Wheels, brakes, bars I have, I'd need a stem and a seat post.
Oh dear. I feel an outbreak of N+1 coming on...

Top Bottom