Dahon

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Petanque

I have always been a fan of folding bikes, and have owned a Birdy, Brompton and Bike Friday at various times over the years. When I retired I foolishly bought a full sized touring bike thinking at the time it met my needs as a general all purpose bike, I also thought that if I needed to take it anywhere, a bike rack fitted on the car would solve the issue. I liked the bike and foolishly sold my Bike Friday, enough said.
My wife still has her custom made BF and I recently realised that I was missing not only the versatility but also the sheer pleasure of folding bikes. My wife will never let me live down the error of selling my BF. However, having decided to return to folders I began my research. I liked my Brompton a lot and used it to commute and for leasure, I decided against another one as I wanted 20" wheels, I did not like my Birdy. Loved my BF(NWT) but, in my opinion they are a pain to fold and are very expensive. I researched Dahon and was impressed by their history and development. Their bikes fold easily are well built and a wide choice is readily available.
Two weeks ago I took delivery of my Dahon Vitesse D8 and have to say I am not disappointed. Purchased from Fudges Cycles on Teusday, it was delivered to me in SW France on the Thursday, now that is service. I have done about 80k on the bike to date mainly roads but yesterday 20k on canal towpath which it coped with admirably. I am very impressed with the build quality of this bike, the spec is adequate for my needs and see no immediate need to upgrade, specced with mudguards, rack and stand with a very simple fold I think I have found a gem. I will make a more informed judgement against the BF once I have used it for a longer period of time, but right now, I like it a lot. Hope this is of interest.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
:welcome: My other half's brother was on holiday when he came across a petanque competition which he duly entered and won, Making him North Wales National Champion for a year, he didn't defend his title........Nice Trophy though.

Bill

Hello P, You have purchased a really great bike as I own a 2013 model myself. If you decide to go off road...i.e. rough canal tow paths you might consider replacing the wheels with BMX wheels as they are a stronger wheel. I also replaced the standard tyres with 'Dutch Perfect' no puncture covers. I have a thingy bolted to the head tube luggage carrier so I can fit my Carradice bar bag...also I have a Steve Parry bag clamp on my seat stem to use a Brompton touring bag. As I am disabled I fitted a special home made air saddle in place of the standard Dahon one which is made out of old railway sleepers....in other words...rock hard. In all a great set up for a cycle.

Top Bottom