1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Daily mail anti texting while driving campaign

Discussion in 'Advocacy and Cycling Safety' started by Inertia, 15 Sep 2016.

1. Inertia

Inertia I feel like I could... TAKE ON THE WORLD!!

Illaveago likes this.
  2. Spinney

Spinney Work-avoider & tea drinker !

They'll have to go a long way to make up for all the immigrant bashing, xenophobia and Lucy Meadows.

3. mjr

mjr Wanting to Keep My EU Citizenship

The Mirror campaign will succeed but the Fail will claim it.

Salty seadog and Roxy641 like this.
  4. Rooster1

Rooster1 Boiling my pants

We all see it all the time. It seems to make me more angry when I see it and i'm on my bike. I think to myself, do you actually give a sh*t about peoples lives, about my life. I'm not the sort that lets it go and I will bang on windows and make phone gestures at anyone I see texting or calling whilst driving. I have had so many near missed by ****holes on their phones. I had someone pull out in front of me last year on the phone, I chased him down and banged on the window - would he stop his conversation - no. I put me and my bike in front of his car and said, put the phone down or stay there all day. He did eventually. I reported it. Nothing happened.

5. Bazzer

Bazzer Much to do and not enough hours

6. Dogtrousers

Dogtrousers Kilometre nibbler

In a recent job I used to get a coach from my place of work to the railway station, through heavy traffic. From the coach window I could look down inside people's cars and it was horrific to see the number of people with mobiles on their laps.

Illaveago, Bad Company and Roxy641 like this.
  7. ianrauk

ianrauk Tattooed Beat Messiah

I see the same every single day from my bike seat commuting through SE London. It's epidemic.

Illaveago, hopless500, mickle and 7 others like this.
  8. coffeejo

coffeejo Ælfrēd

I thought it was a Mirror campaign?

mjr likes this.
  9. HertzvanRental

HertzvanRental Über Member

1 month purge, £1000.00 fine and 12 points.

Illaveago, hopless500 and mickle like this.
  10. raleighnut

raleighnut Guru

It's a start though.

Illaveago, steveindenmark and Spinney like this.
  11. Inertia

Absolutely, I hope its a sign of some change in attitudes though

Darrel Martins brother Lee was killed by a driver who had been stopped 8 prior times using his phone
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-37370828

12. Lets hope Mr Grayling replaces the 19,000 police officers lost over the last 5 years. Without someone to catch the villains it doesn't really matter at all what the law says on the subject.

13. Inertia

We need both, it doesnt matter how many the police catch if they are let off lightly at the other end.

14. summerdays

summerdays Cycling in the sun Staff Member

It would be good if the police could use the cash from the fines to employ more traffic cops. And if the penalty from using your phone was sufficient to make people think twice before picking it up. Currently it seems socially acceptable, and the chances of getting caught so low!

15. Spinney

Spinney Work-avoider & tea drinker !

Crush the phone. That'll concentrate their minds.
    Plus a driving ban. Even a month would do to concentrate their minds, and none of this bleating about needing it for their job.