Dales/W Yorks ride, 6th August, 2022. From Settle to Settle OR to Hebden Bridge/Todmorden

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Hi all.

I have been planning a summer ride with @Sea of vapours to take advantage of a one-day Northern rail pass that I was given last year after the company cancelled my train and left me stranded miles from home. My pass is one way only so I came up with the idea of going to Settle by train first thing and then riding home via Grassington, then Oakworth (near Keighley).

Anybody joining us would have 3 basic options...

SoV will turn off at Oakworth and head back to Settle so any of you starting there might want to accompany him. He says it comes to 137 km (85 miles).

If you want to come back to the Calder Valley with me, I will be riding 100-120 km (62-75 miles). You could easily catch a train back to Leeds, Manchester, Preston etc from there.

The 3rd option would be to come as far as Redcar Tarn on Steeton Moor with us then drop down into Keighley to catch a train back towards Settle, or the other way towards Leeds. You would have done about 80 km (50 miles) for the day.

We won't be riding fast, but we do want to get back in daylight so a 'reasonable' pace will be required. There are some tough hills so I think it would be wise that you should have comfortably completed at least one hilly metric century in the past so you don't get caught out.

Details to follow soon. We'd love to have you join us - if you fancy doing so, please sign up below!

Last edited:

Buck

Guru
Not sure i can make it but following just in case 👍🏻

SoV will turn off at Oakworth and head back to Settle so any of you starting there might want to accompany him. He will work out how long that route will be and tell you soon, but I'd guess 150+ km?
The loop starting from Settle railway station and returning to there will be about 137km, based on the route I plan to take from Oakworth, so that's the longest of the three options Colin's suggesting above. Arguably also the most pleasing though. I don't know the first 10km or so from Oakworth, but thereafter it's definitely all on very nice roads.

Here's a tentative one for the whole loop. I think it's the same as Colin's, but Colin's is the definitive one. GPX attached and here's a high level view.
1658922448055.png

1658922464699.png

GPX viewer

Attachments

• 2022-07-26_859626023_ColinJ 2022(1).gpx
    271.6 KB · Views: 3
OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

I just checked that Settle-Settle loop. It looks good!

My preference is to ride along Storiths Lane from Barden Bridge rather than crossing the Wharfe to the B6160. I see that there is currently a road closure along the lane due to a landslip, but...
  1. Works are supposed to be finished before our ride. Nope - 2023!!!
  2. I have read that cyclists (and pedestrians) can get through anyway.
I'll keep an eye on that nearer the time.

If we take the lane, we use a footbridge to cross the Wharfe to Cavendish Pavilion where we could have a break. That would be after about 54 km.

The other slight variation that I would prefer is to skirt round the south of Silsden from Brunthwaite via Brunthwaite Bridge. It adds some distance on a singletrack lane and cuts out about 0.5 km on a busy A-road.

I have attached a GPX file with those 2 variations in.

I have attached a 2nd file showing the route back to Hebden Bridge and Todmorden from Oakworth.

If I feel up to it and nobody objects to the extension on the day, I may opt to ride with SoV as far as Laneshaw Bridge and then return to Todmorden via Trawden and Worsthorne. I have attached a 3rd file showing that variation. That would add about an hour to the ride.

GPX viewer

GPX viewer

GPX viewer

Attachments

• Oakworth-Oxenhope-Hebden Bridge-Todmorden.gpx
    10.5 KB · Views: 2
  • Laneshaw Bridge - Worsthorne - Todmorden.gpx
    13.1 KB · Views: 0
  • Settle-Grassington-Settle 2022.gpx
    198.6 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

I just checked the shortcut down to Keighley railway station. It is 3 km all downhill from Redcar Tarn on Steeton Moor. The Tarn is at 76 km so your total would be about 79 km, or just shy of 50 miles.

A little GPX file to guide you there is attached below.

GPX viewer

Attachments

• Tarn_Lane_Keighley.gpx
    4.6 KB · Views: 1
OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Here is a map showing the different variations...

Dales forum ride 2022.png

Settle to Settle shown by the transparent red line (followed in a clockwise direction).

Shortcut to Keighley station shown by the purple line.

Oakworth to Hebden Bridge and Todmorden shown by the cyan line.

Alternative route back to Todmorden from Laneshaw Bridge shown by the blue line.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

I am trying to persuade my pals Carrie and Kevin to come along. They have been on some previous Dales rides. They live in the Keighley area so if they do join us they will probably cycle to Settle, meet us there, then leave us at Redcar Tarn on the way back and drop down into Keighley.

They won't want to be hanging about by the station in Settle. Let's say we meet up at Ye Olde Naked Man*** so any early arrivals can have a hot drink while waiting for me to come in by train?

*** As in THE CAFE, not an aged North Yorkshire naturist! :laugh:

Last edited:
OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

I forgot my tag list! I know that some of the people listed below can't make it but I just quoted the whole previous list.

I don't actually remember adding some of those names to the list in the first place but my memory is not great these days, so that is no surprise...! :whistle:

***** ColinJ's forum rider tag list *****
Fellow forum riders, I am planning another ride!

@colly, @Littgull, @neil_merseyside, @Sea of vapours, @Domus, @Julia9054, @Spiderweb, @Slioch, @EasyPeez, @Kestevan, @Venod, @Soltydog, @NorthernDave, @Buck, @si_c, @videoman

If anybody wants their name to be added to the list, let me know. :smile:

(If anybody wants their name to be removed, let me know, but... :cry:)

NB Make sure that you have enabled tag alerts in your account preferences - HERE (tick 'mentions you in a message')

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

I'm not sure that tags work within quoted text, Colin. Certainly, I didn't receive a 'Colin tagged you in a post' notification.
@colly , @Littgull , @neil_merseyside, @Sea of vapours, @Domus, @Julia9054, @Spiderweb, @Slioch, @EasyPeez, @Kestevan, @Venod, @Soltydog, @NorthernDave, @Buck, @si_c, @videoman

Ah, thanks!

Would have loved to be able to come on this, but it's a bit too hard to get to the start for me.

On the trains - definitely. It will take me well over 2 hours to get to Settle by train. If I were fitter I would cycle to the start from home but I am not so I plan to use a rail pass to get there.

It is only a single journey pass so that is why I chose a route that lets me ride home. Anyway, I wouldn't fancy another 2+ hours on trains to get back.

Maybe somebody out your way with a bike rack on their car will pop up and offer you a lift...? :whistle:

Hi All
Unfortunately, due to much worse arthritis in my knees over the past 3 years but particularly this year I am no longer able to ride an unassisted bike for any distance. I still cycle regularly (100 miles a week) but currently all on a mid drive e mtb. It's been my saviour but it doesn't have sufficient range to manage long flat rides over 55 miles or hilly rides over 35/40 miles. I have another e bike which is a step through hybrid on order but due to supplier issues the latest estimated date for receiving it is mid September. The range will be greater than my e mtb but probably not as good assistance for climbs above 10% gradient.

In the meantime, I am enjoying riding shortish local hilly loops on my e mtb with my cycling chum @ColinJ.

Hope to ride with you all again in the future.

Top Bottom