Damaged dropout

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bobinski

Legendary Member
Hi,
As you can see I have damaged the dropout in my Giant defy. I was knocked off bike and either then or when bike checked over in LBS it seems axle not sitting properly in dropout and qr nut gouged away meaning axle will no longer sit straight. Giant will have a look at it BUT assuming they say it's user error, whatever the circumstances, I would like to find a way to continue using frame, even if only on NEO turbo. Local frame builders say cannot touch it because its aluminium not steel. I was wondering about using spacers or something to hold axle straight? Any advice gratefully received!

Attachments

• IMG_3865.JPG
    IMG_3865.JPG
    67.7 KB · Views: 148
  • IMG_3866.JPG
    IMG_3866.JPG
    59 KB · Views: 160
  • IMG_3867.JPG
    IMG_3867.JPG
    53.2 KB · Views: 169

Tangoup51

I am not sure how your manufacture will react, but in any case the damage i'm sure is repairable with a number of safe and practical ways.

But, depending on how Giant will deal with your claim you may never have to find out how to do this anyway.

Ajax Bay

Guru
the damage i'm sure is repairable with a number of safe and practical ways
Whatever Giant say (and (like the OP) I rather doubt they'd think it was a manufacturing issue for them to remediate), I'd be interested in your ideas for the various ways of repairing this, Perhaps you could share them Tango?

OP
OP
bobinski

bobinski

Legendary Member
All my research suggests new frame time and I am hopeful my Giant dealer will either offer a discount on a frame or even a new bike. I have a good relationship with Cadence where the bike was bought having introduced at least 4 sales to them and fittings etc. But it would be a goodwill gesture not a warranty issue.
Query a repair that allows use on the NEO.

That's pretty easy to repair. I'd get someone who can weld aluminium to lay a bead around the perimeter and then I will carefully file a new niche. You won't lose much paint but the area is black - easy to match and in a place where it will be unnoticeable.
Although alumium is difficult to weld that particular piece is easy and wont affect the heat treatment where it matters - higher up where the thin tubes are welded onto billets.

Carbon frames often suffer from that problem if the hub bearings seize up and the axle starts to turn with wheel rotation. But that's really easy to fix.

OP
OP
bobinski

bobinski

Legendary Member
That's pretty easy to repair. I'd get someone who can weld aluminium to lay a bead around the perimeter and then I will carefully file a new niche. You won't lose much paint but the area is black - easy to match and in a place where it will be unnoticeable.
Although alumium is difficult to weld that particular piece is easy and wont affect the heat treatment where it matters - higher up where the thin tubes are welded onto billets.

Carbon frames often suffer from that problem if the hub bearings seize up and the axle starts to turn with wheel rotation. But that's really easy to fix.

I don't suppose you know anyone in London who can do that ? ^_^

You could try doing that same thing as Yellow saddle suggested but with epoxies. - Various epoxies can offer the same strength characteristics required in that area.
No you can't.

screenman

Legendary Member
You could try doing that same thing as Yellow saddle suggested but with epoxies. - Various epoxies can offer the same strength characteristics required in that area.

I would like to know of a resin that hard, as I have not come across one. Could you give me some leads.

keithmac

Guru
Might be worth asking your bike shop as I'd be surprised if they don't have a contact they use for aluminium repairs?.

If you get stuck with engineering shops then alloy wheel repair shops will have aluminium welding (TIG) capabilities.

Scotchlovingcylist

Formerly known as Speedfreak
I would have thought a decent machine/metalwork shop would be able to weld something into that and file it out no problem.
How long it would last under stress is debatable

Top Bottom