Damaged Freehub Splines

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Stripped my old cassette off today ready for a new one coming tomorrow.

I struggled a bit getting it off, and when I did I saw some of the splines had pawl marks in them.

I understand how and why and all that, but just wondered what peoples opinion was as regards when to replace the freehub.

It operates perfectly well.

This isn't mine, (didn't take a pic), but it looks pretty similar.

images (6).jpeg

Thoughts please, T.I.A. :cheers:

Threevok

Growing old disgracefully
If it's an alloy freehub is unavoidable I am afraid

BTW I have a steel Hope one on the single speed that looks as damaged as that one, although the steel one on my geared bike looks better

Should be OK as long as you can get the cassette/cog on and off

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Stripped my old cassette off today ready for a new one coming tomorrow.

I struggled a bit getting it off, and when I did I saw some of the splines had pawl marks in them.

I understand how and why and all that, but just wondered what peoples opinion was as regards when to replace the freehub.
Before it becomes as bad as this ... :laugh:

colly_hub-jpg.jpg

© @colly, 2009

(I cycled with colly down a steep descent to a bridge over a river and then we went to power our way back up a similarly steep gradient on the other side. There was a pure comedy moment with colly's legs spinning effortlessly as his bike slowed to a stop! The biggest sprocket was the only one affected. All the other ones still worked.)

colly

Re member eR
(I cycled with colly down a steep descent to a bridge over a river and then we went to power our way back up a similarly steep gradient on the other side. There was a pure comedy moment with colly's legs spinning effortlessly as his bike slowed to a stop! The biggest sprocket was the only one affected. All the other ones still worked.)

2009 ?? Blimey! It seems like only 9 years ago to me.^_^

Levo-Lon

Guru
If you get one that's a bit jammed when trying to get off...
Get a bit of wood, like a bit of batton and put one end on the teeth, direction against the drive... Free wheel direction and give the other end a short sharp tap with a mallet hammer ect.. It will release it.

OP
OP
smokeysmoo

smokeysmoo

Legendary Member
I've de-burred the freehub with a small file, greased it up and fitted the new cassette no problem.

Normal service has been resumed :okay:

Top Bottom