Damaged laquer - suggestions please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
I'm finishing renovating the Giant Trinity TT bike I picked up last week, with the paintwork now being done. But there are three sections of damaged laquer that look like this, with laquer missing and the edges lifting:

DSCF6650.JPG

Any suggestions please about how I repair the damage? I've a thought to cut out the 'lifting' sections and re-paint the missing area with fresh laquer. The carbon seems OK, it's mostly from areas covered with tape and/or cable points.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
The main thing is to stop it creaping. Cut out the lifted section if you can, then re-paint.

OP
OP
DCLane

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Thanks all - I've found a couple more spots where it's lifting. Basically a chip has happened and it's been left to spread.

My plan is to cut off the edge of the damaged laquer, paint fresh laquer on and then add tape where I can. Hopefully that'll work.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Like this! Underneath is a nasty patch of peeled lacquer, I just carefully rubbed it down and stuck this over it.

View attachment 498114
should see my winter bike, could do with a repsray from chips etc but i touch it up and find a sticker :smile:

midlife

Guru
BITD at the bike shop we had a variety of stickers to put over chips and scratches on new bikes......when touch up didn't quite cover them lol

Top Bottom