Damn ice!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
I enjoy my commute to work, it's around a 21 mile round trip, over the Welsh Heads of the Valleys. However, due to the exposed terrain, ice is a a real problem and last week i came off my bike 4 times.

If its icy, I now tend to sadly use the car. Has anyone else had similar issues?
Never as I don't ride in temperatures below 8 degrees and even then I think twice.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
@biggs682 I second what @Bodhbh @mjr wrote.
Get a pair of studded tyres, embed the studs as per instructions, keep a spare heavy bike with them on - it's not as if you're short on bikes :whistle:
Buy them in summer when they go on sale, they will last you for many years, you will never fall off.
Pressure up to near max when there's just the threat of ice, you're good on dry tarmac too.

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
Never had a car so never had the option of (pussying out and) safely driving to work/elsewhere.
Even before I'd heard of studded tyres I was pedalling through whatever winter threw at me whether it was on mtb or road bike.
Bought some Schwalbe Snow tyres a couple years ago and whilst I love the ability to stay upright through snow and black ice, there's the rolling resisance...jeeeeeeezuuuuuuus! It's like towing a pallet of breeze blocks!
You need to ride like a fairy for the first 25 miles or so to bed them in and I've not lost a single stud to date.

Last edited:
I have a set of schwalbe which I got from bike24.de. Current exchange rate may reduce the extent to which you can pick up a bargain on one of the German sites.

When they arrived I used a pair of narrow nosed pliers to push all the studs well into place, but still rode gently for the first 25 miles...but then I always ride gently:shy:

The drag is very noticeable, but I am hoping that once they are off I will fly along...fractionally less gently :tongue:

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
I lost a load of studs one day last week. A dog came out on me whilst I was going over a bridge in the park, I might have hit the brakes a little bit hard as I did a fantastic skid which ripped about a dozen studs out.

It doesn't take long to replace them though and the bike is a once again ready for th next icy spell.

Reactions: mjr
Top Bottom