Damn ice!

Discussion in 'Commuting' started by Curlybars1972, 16 Feb 2018.

Tags:
  1. gavroche

gavroche Getting old but not past it

Never as I don't ride in temperatures below 8 degrees and even then I think twice.

2. Pat "5mph"

Pat "5mph" A kilogrammicaly challenged woman Moderator

@biggs682 I second what @Bodhbh @mjr wrote.
    Get a pair of studded tyres, embed the studs as per instructions, keep a spare heavy bike with them on - it's not as if you're short on bikes :whistle:
    Buy them in summer when they go on sale, they will last you for many years, you will never fall off.
    Pressure up to near max when there's just the threat of ice, you're good on dry tarmac too.

Slick and biggs682 like this.
  3. Drago

Drago Guru

Three days in mid July, between 11am and 4pm ;)

4. Vantage

Vantage The dogs chew toy

Never had a car so never had the option of (pussying out and) safely driving to work/elsewhere.
    Even before I'd heard of studded tyres I was pedalling through whatever winter threw at me whether it was on mtb or road bike.
    Bought some Schwalbe Snow tyres a couple years ago and whilst I love the ability to stay upright through snow and black ice, there's the rolling resisance...jeeeeeeezuuuuuuus! It's like towing a pallet of breeze blocks!
    You need to ride like a fairy for the first 25 miles or so to bed them in and I've not lost a single stud to date.

Last edited: 18 Feb 2018
    Drago likes this.
  5. OP
    OP
    Curlybars1972

Curlybars1972 Active Member

It was actually four times in ONE day!

6. BalkanExpress

BalkanExpress Veteran

I have a set of schwalbe which I got from bike24.de. Current exchange rate may reduce the extent to which you can pick up a bargain on one of the German sites.

When they arrived I used a pair of narrow nosed pliers to push all the studs well into place, but still rode gently for the first 25 miles...but then I always ride gently:shy:

The drag is very noticeable, but I am hoping that once they are off I will fly along...fractionally less gently :tongue:

7. Arjimlad

Arjimlad Tights of Cydonia

My set are on their second winter too, and no studs lost yet. Almost look forward to a bit of ice !

8. Supersuperleeds

Supersuperleeds Guru

I lost a load of studs one day last week. A dog came out on me whilst I was going over a bridge in the park, I might have hit the brakes a little bit hard as I did a fantastic skid which ripped about a dozen studs out.

It doesn't take long to replace them though and the bike is a once again ready for th next icy spell.

mjr likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice