Dampers to Absorb Road Vibration?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AnotherServant

Regular
First, I should issue an apology; I'm a reject from BikeForums partially because some people thought I was posting too often and they didn't like it. (Also because, admittedly, I was sort of a jerk.) But my wife just took a fall and her right hand/arm still isn't normal. Long story short, I'm thinking of how to dampen the road vibration for her. Anyone used Bontrager's Bzzzkill Harmonic Dampers? Do they work? I'm thinking of several solutions including wine corks in her handlebars, gel insert gloves, bar ends, etc.

If you have any experience with this please make suggestions?

Profpointy

Legendary Member
what a great intro :-)

Many years ago I installed "grab-on" foam grips which were very good at solving that very problem. This was instead of normal bar tape. Although they worked, they are a pain to slide onto the bars - a job which gave me blisters - and you have to remove and replace brake leavers. Dunno if they are still made. The rubber perished eventually and were also a pain to remove. I now use good paddded gloves, with or without fingers according to season, combined with good quality thickish bar tape and it's nearly as good as the "grab on" stuff, which I don't think I can be arsed with again, although it works

MikeW-71

Veteran
:welcome:

I don't have any experience of those dampers, but two things come to mind for me. Foam grips are a possibility, and run the front tyre at a little less pressure.

kalniel

Since they mention they came from bow technology, and I used to be an archer, I'll comment and say they probably aren't much use. Unless you're suspending a bike and hitting it with a hammer I don't think there's much that vibration dampening will do - it's already got several contact points with the ground and a large gelatinous sack to dampen out vibrations very quickly.

I'm new to bikes, and certainly not a medic, but I would guess that issues with hands/arms are more caused by shock transmission than vibration, and dampeners hardly affect that. Better would (IMHO) be to mitigate the (multiple, small) shock transmission into the hands/arm.

Tyres, pressures, forks and riding position are going to be key factors in helping that I think, not dampeners.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I was going to say that the reason that John Dunlop invented the pneumatic tyre was to act as a form of suspension to absorb road vibration, but Wikipedia tells me that he actually re-invented the earlier invention of Robert William Thomson!

It is amazing how much difference lowering tyre pressures by a few PSI can make, I find that there is a fairly wide range to work with between too soft (very sluggish and prone to pinch punctures) and too hard (unbearably uncomfortable and with a risk of blowing off the rim).

sight-pin

Veteran
Since they mention they came from bow technology, and I used to be an archer, I'll comment and say they probably aren't much use

I remember the 'Hoyt torque flight compensators' i had with my old pro medalist bow in the 70's, Didn't find them much good then either. However...... They could work if he picked the bike up and twanged the spokes:giggle:

OP
OP
AnotherServant

AnotherServant

Regular
Carbon fiber frame and fork
Thanks. :-) I was hoping for a much, much less expensive solution though. One that doesn't require taking out a second mortgage on my house.

Red17

Veteran
The dampers look like the same principal as bar end weights which are widely used on motorcycles. Only thing is with motorcycles they are more aimed at reducing vibration from the engine at low speed (stops the mirrors blurring) than transmitted road vibration.

Never tried them on a bicycle but the fact they are not commonly used would lead me to doubt their effectiveness.

Top Bottom