Dan Atherton Film

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
This is pure gymnastics on a bike!:notworthy:

Shaun

Founder
Skills indeed !! You get a real sense of speed and danger from this one (look how narrow some of the tracks / gaps are) :eek: - it must take nerves of steel and bloody quick reactions:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DhBPFr3RRso

Do the riders get a chance to run the course a few times before doing it against the clock, or do they just head down it blind and take it as it comes?

OP
OP
C

Crackle

Do the riders get a chance to run the course a few times before doing it against the clock, or do they just head down it blind and take it as it comes?
Don't know about the Red Bull stuff but the world downhill series has practice days. I went and watched one at Fort William once.

Jody

Stubborn git

Yes they get practice runs on Hardline. There is footage of one or two people coming up short on that very jump when practicing. Hardline must take some balls but its Rampage I can barely watch.

Jody

Stubborn git
Rampage? Sounds a bit mental?!

It's completely mental. You know how mental something is when pro riders are saying they are scared of competing in it. Have a look at the best bits on youtube when you have a minute.

Jody

Stubborn git
Just nuts - the drops, the speed, must be costly on the body when you crash out?! :eek:

http://www.pinkbike.com/news/our-fallen-friends-red-bull-rampage-2015.html
"This was an especially hard year, Paul Basagoitia's crash topped off a number of injuries that took athletes out of contention. Some had to make the decision for themselves and others didn't even have that option - it was heartbreaking regardless. To see our friends, our heroes, and our Rampage family members sustain some truly terrifying and painful injuries creates a feeling of helplessness that can dampen the excitement. It can sober our celebrations and force us to truly acknowledge that the entertainment we so enjoy is literally death defying."

The guy in question (Paul Basagoitia) ended up paralysed, which is one of the reasons I can't watch it. It seems a little voyeuristic to be watching something you know could change someones life with one tiny mistake and is there because of the demand by fans for this type of event. There are probably lots of sports you can say the same about but at Rampage they really are treading a fine line. They are pushing the envelope of what is possible, doing things that wouldn't have been deemed possible 15+ years ago and it leaves me in awe.

Top Bottom