Dangerous driving by HGV - is there any recourse?

Discussion in 'Commuting' started by Mike8782, 14 Jul 2012.

1. Mike8782

Mike8782 Active Member

I was cycling here today in the bus lane, and a HGV was pushing me from behind waving at me to get off the road on to the pavement cycle path. I refused, and he overtook closely. At the lights, I pulled up alongside to tell him of how in the wrong he was, and he could not see I had a right to be in the bus lane. If you look at the picture, there's clearly a cycle sign.

However, in the moment, I didn't take a number plate. Is there anything I can do? I think it was a milk link HGV, but of that I can't even be sure.

https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=ex...=2yP2kVsSpW9nneHtwrpzNw&cbp=12,135.78,,0,4.84

2. BSRU

BSRU A Human Being

Many HGV companies have gps tracking installed in their vehicles so it is possible to identify a vehicle if you know the approximate time and location.
    Also some HGV's are fitted with cctv in order to prevent "crash for cash" incidents.
    Strange bus lane sign, never seen one allowing HGV's to use it but having said that it clearly allows bicycles as well.

downfader likes this.
  3. downfader

downfader extimus uero philosophus

You have no legal obligation to use the path, he has no legal right to enforce a perceived wrong.

EDIT: that path looks diabolical in places. Ruts, potholed, narrow and passing blind driveways...

4. Crankarm

Crankarm Guru

No.

Forget about it and move on.

5. gambatte

gambatte Middle of the pack...

Theres are things you could try, but I reckon the best advice for this one is "chose your battles". It's unlikely to go anywhere.

400bhp likes this.
  6. ufkacbln

ufkacbln Guest

You need to be able to identify the vehicle or at least the Company. I use a helmet cam fo rthis very reason.

Once that is done then a polite email expressing your concerns over their action, and a request for an explanation

I always wait for the reply as the driver's version is always a pack of lies!

Then you send the video asking why the driver was not only driving dangerously, but is also lying to his managers about his actions.

Sadly it is the fact that the driver has made them look stupid that gets action taken, but at least something gets done.

I have had a number of drivers dismissed for actions similar to the ones you describe.

Hawk and downfader like this.
  7. OP
    OP
    Mike8782

Mike8782 Active Member

I think I have to suck it up. I can't believe there are HGV drivers who don't think cyclists are allowed on the road

8. BentMikey

BentMikey Rider of Seolferwulf

Shame, it's frustrating, isn't it? This is why many of us carry front and rear cameras now. It's often the only way we can get any recourse, and any chance of educating that driver in future.

9. As said by others, difficult to prove without camera evidence. WHen the money fairy drops a few grand in my bank account I'm going to equip myself with a pair of cameras, not so I can post lots of vids on Youtube but for evidence' sake should I ever be involved in an incident.
    Agree with downfader as well, that isn't a cycle lane it's a path that some desk-jockey has decided can be 'dual use' which means bumpy as hell for cyclists and a danger to peds menaced by less that discretionary cyclists.

10. akb

akb Über Member

Isn't the cycle sign directing you to the pavement?

11. OP
    OP
    Mike8782

Mike8782 Active Member

As I see it, there's a cyclepath on the pavement, which bumps up and down, and a smooth bus lane, which HGVs and bicycles can use. I was perfectly entitled to use that lane.

12. benb

benb Evidence based cyclist

You clearly have the right to use that bus lane, and the shared use path would be grim to use if there were any pedestrians around. Very odd bus lane allowing HGVs though. I'd be tempted to write to the council and see if they are receptive to changing it to exclude HGVs.

13. akb

akb Über Member

Agreed.
    But for your own safety, would it not have been better to use the SUP in this instance to avoid any confrontation with ignorant HGV drivers? Even more so in heavy traffic?

wmtlynx likes this.
  14. wmtlynx

wmtlynx Active Member

If you remember your school days, there were bullies. Many of them stay bullies all their lives, and unfortunately we will bump into the odd one now and again. Antagonise them and they think ' xxxxing cyclist' and may run the next one off the road completely. Sometimes it's best to be a p/ssy.

15. Ste T.

Ste T. Über Member

HGVs sharing bus lanes? Hopefully this aint the shape of things to come.:crazy:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice