Dark mornings

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Commuted to work by bike twice this week after a break of about 6 weeks (don't ask) and all I can say is it bl**dy dark at 6am!!! But what really amazed me this morning was seeing another couple of folk on bikes with not a light to be seen - do these people think they're immortal??

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Yep they do...

But do you scream 'Get a bloody light' in their ear as you pass - but make sure you are more than capable of doing a runner... (burning them off and no traffic lights for a while....) society as it is........ nuf said.......

I've nearly run off the road loads of none lit cyclists out of commute hours, never mind within that time you expect them... (on the bike that is)....

gbb

Legendary Member
arranandy said:
Commuted to work by bike twice this week after a break of about 6 weeks (don't ask) and all I can say is it bl**dy dark at 6am!!! But what really amazed me this morning was seeing another couple of folk on bikes with not a light to be seen - do these people think they're immortal??[/QUOTE]

It'll be interesting to see how many have lights in Peterboro this winter.

Historically, its always in the papers, peeps writing in about morons with no lights...but i detect more and more with GOOD lights nowadays...but sadly, too many still dont bother.

arranandy said:
Commuted to work by bike twice this week after a break of about 6 weeks (don't ask) and all I can say is it bl**dy dark at 6am!!! But what really amazed me this morning was seeing another couple of folk on bikes with not a light to be seen - do these people think they're immortal??

No they are effing idiots.:biggrin:

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
gambatte said:
When you consider the amount of close calls you get in daylight, not using lights at night............

It's very rarely because they didn't see you though. Usually it's more a case of ah it's a fecking bicycle, it doesn't go fast/it'll get out of my way.

gambatte

Middle of the pack...
BentMikey said:
It's very rarely because they didn't see you though. Usually it's more a case of ah it's a fecking bicycle, it doesn't go fast/it'll get out of my way.

Based on what?

I consider myself an observant driver. I do notice lit riders earlier than unlit, which means I can take evasive action earlier.

You pointed out the other day that I did notice the unlit rider on my commute. True but later than I'd have liked. The 'well lit' rider I noticed at approx 2-300yds on the far side of a dual carriageway, half obscured by the car at his side at the lights. He had hi vis waistcoat, good headlight and a flashing light attached to his helmet. More detail than I could give you of the 'cycling ninja', who I actually passed.

When you are posting about lights and hi vis stuff im afraid it falls on deaf ears with Bent Mikey.He's got it into his head that it's better to cycle around with no lights and dark clothing which is his choice obviously.

I have asked many motorists and tried my own little tests over the years to see what is the best method of being noticed and I think I have found the best solution.Some cyclists wear the gear and some don't.It's their choice obviously.

I have traveled with motorist of which their eyesight has not been so good and it has scared the hell out of me.

I also take note of cyclists when traveling in cars so I can pick up tips and also had a close escape in Gran Canaria when I wasn't wearing the hi vis gear as the said oldish motorist didn't see me in failing light.

gambatte

Middle of the pack...
Dont mean this to sound insulting (honest BM) I wonder at times if Mikey has a drivers licence?...

My own experience tells me that I notice lit drivers.

I have an increased ability to avoid idiots infront of me as I can see them. I've got a lot less control over those behind me. I'll use lights / reflectives / fluorescents and pray that its more effective than trusting to a drivers last minute panic reaction

From a driver's point of view nothing beats reflectalite strips - more visible than the flourescent bit of a high vis vest and often more noticeable than lights - but sometimes it needs the car lights to be on (which isn't always the case for cars at dusk or in low light conditions).

The worst is wet roads driving into a low sun - brutal seeing anything!

Had someone complain my Dinotte was too bright. Took great delight in informing him that you need bright lights on an unlit path to see unlit cyclist - like him!

I am a great believer in "visibility" - Hence the Dinotte as a "dawn light"

Tomorrow on the Trike:

Hope HID (50 watt equivalent)
Dinotte rear light (10 watt equivalent)
2 metres of glow wire on the flag
Respro jacket

But there will still be a numpty who will pull out in front of me or overtake too closely!

If you want reflective clothing though there is little that can beat the Foska Bones

The sight of a bright white skeleton is an eye opener!

Top Bottom