Dartford Crossing On a Friday.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Salty seadog

Space Cadet...(3rd Class...)
I think I know the answer to this one.

Travelling up to Tilbury from Dover on Friday, need to be in Tilbury by 8:15am, leaving Tilbury about 3:30pm. What are my chances with the Dartford crossing. The alternative is park in Gravesend and get the ferry over to Tilbury. The good thing here is my destination is only 400 yards from the Tilbury terminal.

@rb58
@deptfordmarmoset
@GM
@sagefly
@Markymark
@Nigel182
@Nick Saddlesore

And any of the other 7-8 million.

Cheers,

Ssd

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
No idea.

But... I used to live (until age 5) a stones throw from the Tilbury Ferry dock on the Gravesend side so if you get a chance of a pic' can you take one please? :smile:

Not been there for years so I have forgotten what it is like.

No pressure - please ignore if you don't have the time, inclination etc.

Good luck with hitting your timescales though. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
Salty seadog

Salty seadog

No idea.

But... I used to live (until age 5) a stones throw from the Tilbury Ferry dock on the Gravesend side so if you get a chance of a pic' can you take one please? :smile:

Not been there for years so I have forgotten what it is like.

No pressure - please ignore if you don't have the time, inclination etc.

Good luck with hitting your timescales though. :thumbsup:

Give me a dig in the ribs Friday early or just before 3 and I'll see what I can do.:okay:. I'll set myself a reminder.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
I don’t know about the ferry, but I drive across the river a lot.

The main issue is the afternoon for the tunnel going north. The bridge going south usually flows better but it can be sticky. But you should’ve ok leaving at 3.30.

The morning rush can be bad through the tunnel, but the afternoon is worse.

subaqua

What’s the point
I don’t know about the ferry, but I drive across the river a lot.

The main issue is the afternoon for the tunnel going north. The bridge going south usually flows better but it can be sticky. But you should’ve ok leaving at 3.30.

The morning rush can be bad through the tunnel, but the afternoon is worse.

Beat me to it. I think @Salty seadog wull have more issues on the Kent motorways than the crossing based on my experiences

vickster

Legendary Member
Google maps on a PC will give you a decent idea /time range based on when you should leave in the morning and how long you can expect the evening journey to take

The simple answer is that it flows fine until there’s a problem. But, problems arrive frequently with little warning and little pattern.

Your best bet is google maps at the last minute to see which direction you should take.

Dan
good call with the Ferry but occasionally they have issues so make a note of

Jetstream Tours ferry Operators.

Tel: 07961 892 627

Follow twitter.com/TilburyFerry for latest updates.

They've a new boat not The Duchess anymore and mind your head when in the cabin when stepping up to sit on the seats...I speak from a few knocks to the head.

OP
OP
Salty seadog

Salty seadog

Dan
good call with the Ferry but occasionally they have issues so make a note of

Jetstream Tours ferry Operators.

Tel: 07961 892 627

Follow twitter.com/TilburyFerry for latest updates.

They've a new boat not The Duchess anymore and mind your head when in the cabin when stepping up to sit on the seats...I speak from a few knocks to the head.

Nice one Nigel, I'm planning to get there early in case I do have to bail over to Dartford.
I spoke to Jetstream earlier and will do so as I hit the outskirts of Gravesend. I'll not be far from you. Got a course in Tilbury.

See you before long. :okay:

rb58

Enigma
Nothing much to add to the comments above, except:

Friday is often busier than other days at the tunnel
Assuming you are com8ng up the A2, there are usually long queues on the A2 slip road trying to get onto the crossing approach road. And there’s not really a better way.

It’s the uncertainty that’s the problem, so i’d agree with the advice to check Google traffic as near as possible to your ferry v tunnel decision point.

Coming home in the afternoon shouldn’t be a problem.

OP
OP
Salty seadog

Salty seadog

Nothing much to add to the comments above, except:

Friday is often busier than other days at the tunnel
Assuming you are com8ng up the A2, there are usually long queues on the A2 slip road trying to get onto the crossing approach road. And there’s not really a better way.

It’s the uncertainty that’s the problem, so i’d agree with the advice to check Google traffic as near as possible to your ferry v tunnel decision point.

Coming home in the afternoon shouldn’t be a problem.

I'm pretty sure it'll be the ferry, It will save a ton of time and hassle and 20 extra miles driving ewch way. Fingers crossed for a normal ferry service, they have a cover ferry in while the new one is at refit.

Top Bottom