Dartmoor Classic This Sunday (27th June 2010)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rsvdaz

Who is doing it?

Im doing the 100km...Ive been back in the saddle since Feb, progressed from C2W Mountain bike to getting a proper road bike.

Ive been up on the moors a few times doing the course in sections and all has been well for at least a bronze medal.

This sunday left home at 5am drove to Bovey Tracey and did the course from there taking in the delights of:
Manaton
Holne
Two Bridges
Postbridge
Mortenhampstead and then deviating from the course to head back to Bovey
They have tar and chipped the roads on most of the course and I noticed they are doing some more past Venford Reservoir this week - it made the raod hard going (at least for me) and my average speed struggled at 10mph :laugh: I didnt enjoy the ride and legs are aching just as they were when I first started..now i'm fretting that I wont complete the course never mind a bronze medal :laugh:

Keith Oates

Janner
Tar and chippings really saps the strength but it will be the same for the others as well so just go and enjoy and let the time look after itself!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

cyclenic

i'm doing the 100k. and cycled the begining of the route today to ashburst, then headed home. got to ashburton in 1h45, which i was pleased with, but not sure if it's good or not.
I consider myself slow and inexperienced.
i'm nervous :rofl:

but loved the views over the moors, so will concentrate on those, and just getting to the finish, as this will be the furthest i've ridden and my first event.

Jerry Atrik

Veteran
Not even thinking about the time , would just like to finish it in one piece . Gonna give it a good go but still think iv'e bit of more than i can chew !

speccy1

I would like to do this:biggrin:, I live in Plymouth but can NEVER find anybody to cycle/train with:angry::biggrin:. The moors are there but I can never find anybody else who appreciates it, it`s like pulling teeth!!

cyclenic

Jerry Atrik said:
Not even thinking about the time , would just like to finish it in one piece . Gonna give it a good go but still think iv'e bit of more than i can chew !

Jerry i'm thinking exactly the same thing!

Baggy

Cake connoisseur
Good luck all of you - just take it as slowly as you need to and you'll all make it round. Think our average speed was about 11mph last year, there were plenty finishing ahead of us, but plenty behind as well, managed to squeeze in with a bronze medal. The scenery is stunning, it was tough at times but I loved it (can't ride this year as I'm helping out on the Exmouth exodus) - and if it's any encouragement, the last 10/15 miles are pretty flat and fast!

Baggy

Cake connoisseur
I know!! There are a few from a club in Plymouth aiming to do both - hope they manage it!

Fattman

Gearing up for doing this with a local mate; did it last year and loved it! Organisation was great, plenty of water & nosh at the stops. Gonna be roasting hot this year, bit worried about that. Good luck to all!

OP
OP
rsvdaz

rsvdaz

well..turned out i didnt do it...my old man had a bit of a mishap in portugal so spent the last week and half at his bedside in hospital...really gutted i didnt get chance this year but family/health come first

Top Bottom