Dartmoor

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
Dartmoor is very hilly.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
And boggy. I did my Outward Bound there many moons ago.
It seemed to have marshes on the way up hills, and down the other side. And at the bottom of the hills as well.
Maybe that's just my memories of walking there 50 years ago though..

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
It's superb for cycling. In many respects the edges are nicer on a bike: woody valleys, tiny lanes,village pubs. And it's beautifully quiet outside the holiday season.

helston90

Eat, sleep, ride, repeat.
It is very hilly, and often wet and windy but 1 day a year it's sunny and clear and you can see for miles at the top of each climb. Good luck working out which day that is!

KneesUp

Guru
I stayed near Dartmoor last summer. I took a bike, but only rode it once in the week. It was a mistake to choose a cottage at the bottom of a valley - which topographically actually seemed to be a cottage at the bottom of a huge conical depression. The only way was up, in every direction. Beautiful, but you need strong legs. It never failed to impress me when I saw cycle tourists fully laden, which I did quite often.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I am going down to stay for a week near Chudleigh in early September. I will definitely take my bike and pack a waterproof jacket! (The bike has a Dartmoor climbing gear ratio - 28/30.)

KneesUp

Guru
I am going down to stay for a week near Chudleigh in early September. I will definitely take my bike and pack a waterproof jacket! (The bike has a Dartmoor climbing gear ratio - 28/30.)
I took an MTB and ended up in 22/32 on one short section of road!

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I took an MTB and ended up in 22/32 on one short section of road!
20% would be ok but short stretches of 25% are about my limit these days. I did once get up Park Rash in the Yorkshire Dales which has a very severe first 50 metres whose gradient was nearer to 30%. I would have liked my MTB bottom gear for that one (same ratio as yours).

Top Bottom