Dash Cams

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jason

I use a capicitor based dash cam, and iirc the nextbase ones use a battery. They tend to fail around month 13-15 according to forums.

I find having one very reassuring when driving and also whilst parked up. If anyone were to knock or damage it, hopefully recorded

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
My brother has one that he fitted a couple of years ago. He did it because he lives in Birmingham and they all drive like numpties there. :laugh:. He says it gives him peace of mind because you never know when you will need it.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
My pick up (work and personal) has now been fitted with a Nextbase 312GW dash cam. It all feels a bit odd but I’ll guess I’ll get used to it.

Anyone else use one and what do you think? I have no plans to You Tube videos. It’s purely for insurance purposes. (I hope not)
I've got a Nextbase myself. Useful if somebody causes an accident as there is no dispute. If I was at fault I'd hold my hands up anyway, no way would I lie to try and blame someone else for my own mistake.

Levo-Lon

Guru
Its on my want list...driving standards are on the decline ,i cant believe what i see on my drive to work each day.
When i was self employed i very rarely used the same road for more than a week but now i do the same 20 miles each day i see the same idiots most days.
You could set your watch by them, usually coming up the slip roads!!

I may post a few vids to mr dibble when i get one

Jason

Can the display screen be switched off completely as that looks a cheap solution for a rear facing dash cam. The fact it doesn't have a GPS sensor means it won't interfere with DAB radio.

classic33

Leg End Member
[QUOTE 5018444, member: 9609"]the other thing I like about the dash cams is it provides a record of my driving, there is always the last 4.5 hours on the memory card. If I was to make a mistake and cause a serious accident (I'm only human) hopefully this record would show this was a one off mistake and that in general I am a careful and considerate driver. hopefully the courts/police/jury or whatever would take that into account? It would certainly prove I don't drive round like a prize one plank.
put me to the test, I could put up a screen shot of the memory card, pick a minute out of the last 4 hours and I will upload it to youtube and you will only see good driving. (ha ha this could be embarrassing)[/QUOTE]
Two hours before the post time.

tyred

Legendary Member
I don't have one but have toyed with the idea after narrowly avoiding being wiped out by a red light jumping fruitcake earlier in the year and not for the first time at a particular junction. (minor road crosses a major road and the junction is completely blind and the scene of many accidents over the years. Council helpfully installed lights with sensors to make it safe for the occasional traffic on the minor road to cross but a sizeable minority on the main road appear to ignore the lights and drive straight through at speed).

I think it's a very sad day that they are considered necessary and a sign of many problems in society :sad:

Drago

Legendary Member
Yesterday morning on the way to the physio my rear facing can captured 16 minutes footage of the guy behind me in his works van nattering away in his phone. At one point we stopped at traffic lights and he was so engrossed he failed to realise the lights had turned green, and I'd travelled about 200 metres before he figured it out, so his attention was demonstrably not on the road. Heck, I've even got a big sticker in my rear window warning him that i've dashcams, and still he carried on.

Disc burned, I've written my own MG11, and the local PCSO is going to pick it up tomorrow and take it in for me. Hope he enjoys the 6 points. In fact, I hope he gets fired.

So many cars have dash cams now I don't know why anyone bothers being a twot on the road. Everyone is recording everyone else. I refuse to do this YouTube malarkey, but I'm happy to grass them up to the Bow Street Runners, daily if necessary.

classic33

Leg End Member
[QUOTE 5021781, member: 9609"]these are the only files left prior to the post, choose one of those, each are 5 min long ending in the time shown on the file, so pick a minute before that time
you will probably get a minute of borders countryside
I have scored out the first and last two as they show where i live
View attachment 381193 [/QUOTE]
13180013, Thirteen's my lucky number.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Had a dash cam for about 2 years now.
Started off with a cheapy from eBay that did the job, but upgraded to a Motorola one about 6 months ago which is much better.

I drive about 50 miles a day and if I were that way inclined I could upload something to YouTube pretty much every day. Thankfully I've got better things to do.

Not only has it made me more aware of how I'm driving, but it's prevented at least 2 road rage incidents escalating - including one where someone was half way out of their car but spotted the camera and thought better of it. Funny that he'd found time to stop after being in such a rush to cut across three lanes of traffic through the lights just seconds earlier...

classic33

Leg End Member
[QUOTE 5021944, member: 9609"]pick a minute between 14:18 & 14:23
you may get to see a bit of hawck[/QUOTE]

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
I got a combined dashcam/satnav Garmin thing a couple of months ago and find it improves my driving. There's an annoying alert when I'm too close to the vehicle in front and another alert for when I'm stopped and traffic starts moving again which gets my head up from posting on Cyclecha...

Top Bottom