dating a dawes galaxy

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ben M

Does anyone have an idea what age this frameset it? Or how I can find out?

fqwnqkX.jpg

http://imgur.com/fqwnqkX

p.s. any guesses at a valuation, if you can? It looks like a new cassette (& chain), and they are new (Marathon) tyres and bar tape.

p.p.s. sorry for the duplicate thread, I think it might get more traffic here than in touring?

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
@Ben M - I've deleted the duplicate over in Touring - site rules say not to double post things.

Sorry I can't help with your question, but now doubt someone will be along to give you some info!

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
@Ben M i would say mid to late 80's , check the hubs for date codes and some times the canti brake arms have a date stamp on

as for value always tough on Galaxy's but between 150 -250 min if in sound condition

OP
OP
Ben M

Ben M

So, I bought it today. It was an absolute steal.

New shwalbe marathon tyres
new chain
new cassette (8 speed)
new handlebar tape
new big ring
wheels have been replaced at some point, with the rear being a freehub
loads of life in the rims
no deep rust on the frame, only some slight stuff which will clean up
perfect size for me :biggrin:

£100!

OP
OP
Ben M

Ben M

So when are you taking her out for a date? A moonlit location, soft music, a delicate splash of GT85 and you're guaranteed to get your leg over.

Tomorrow I'm going to spend the afternoon caressing her, getting degreaser in all her nooks and crannies and seeing how she scrubs up. Then I'll take her for a short ride to show my friends ;)

Smurfy

Naturist Smurf
It's not the exact one in the 1990 brochure, but it's pretty close.

Your model has a seat bolt mounted brake hanger. The one in the brochure has a brazed brake hanger.

Top Bottom