Daughter #1 to Uni - Question 2!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Any good advice, ideas of stuff required to send 'em on her way? Practical and emotional.

Things she'll need (other than money).
Treats/surprises
What was useful
What's not useful

What's the experience here to help her on her way?

postman

Legendary Member
Don't let her see you cry.My girl is 16 and talking of Uni i am already thinking how is she going to manage.Cooking,shopping,ironing,cleaning ,studying and a decent set of digs.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
I can recall a hundred and one things that went down well with my daughter:

Nutella, Nutella, Nutella, Nutella, Nutella, Nutella, Nutella, Nutella, Nutella, Nutella, Nutella, Nutella, Nutella, Nutella, Nutella, Nutella, Nutella, Nutella, Nutella, Nutella, Nutella, Nutella, Nutella, Nutella, Nutella, Nutella, Nutella, Nutella, Nutella, Nutella, Nutella, Nutella, Nutella, Nutella, Nutella, Nutella, Nutella, Nutella, Nutella, Nutella, Nutella, Nutella, Nutella, Nutella, Nutella, Nutella, Nutella, Nutella, Nutella, Nutella, Nutella, Nutella, Nutella, Nutella, Nutella, Nutella, Nutella, Nutella, Nutella, Nutella, Nutella, Nutella, Nutella, Nutella, Nutella, Nutella, Nutella, Nutella, Nutella, Nutella, Nutella, Nutella, Nutella, Nutella, Nutella, Nutella, Nutella, Nutella, Nutella, Nutella, Nutella, Nutella, Nutella, Nutella, Nutella, Nutella, Nutella, Nutella, Nutella, Nutella, Nutella, Nutella, Nutella, Nutella, Nutella, Nutella, Nutella, Nutella, Nutella, Nutella and Nutella

Manonabike

Über Member
Uhhhh the first couple of weeks will be fun for her so she will not miss you too much.

Best thing I found is to let them get on with it and be there for when they need advise. They'll be on the phone soon enough if they need you :-)

Teach her to be organised with the food in the kitchen, not to buy too much as other student will steal food, specially towards the end of term, when finances are running short.

After you drop her at uni and then come back home...... avoid visiting her room for a few days if you can..... otherwise you will find it very painful. After a year you will wonder what the fuss was all about :-)

When the work piles up and she feels the world is coming down on her then you need to teach her to brake the work down into smaller portions, big enough for her to see that she cannot waist any time and yet small enough for her to have confidence in tackling every task successfully. Soon she'll get the hand of it and do very well at uni.

I'm on my third son / daughter at uni...... one more year to go and then I'm FREEEEEEE :-)

What to do? Stay off Facebook
What not to do? Go on Facebook

Having seen both kids through Uni I would say don't fuss over them (that's not cool in front of their new to-be friends) and leave them to get on with it but be there for them without judgement whenever they ask including helping sort out without reproach the things they could/should have thought about/done themselves but didn't. University is as much about growing up, leaving home and learning how to live independently as it is about education. They will make a lot of mistakes but will learn from them and knowing you trust them and are always there for them will give them that extra confidence on their exciting new journey.

Rezillo

TwoSheds
"Cooking,shopping,ironing,cleaning ,studying and a decent set of digs".

I read that first in haste as "a decent set of drugs" and momentarily thought Postman must be the coolest parent ever.

John

Top Bottom