Daughters first bike packing trip: essentials to take ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cathryn

Legendary Member
Girly stuff - depending on how "girly" she is and how much she's used to roughing it. I know some women won't go anywhere without their hair straighteners etc., but even the most tomboyish girl might want things like lip salve, handcream, mensturual products. If she's not been away on her own before perhaps her sisters are the best people to advise on that.

Some emergency cash/debit card, just in case.

I was thinking about potential menstrual products. I'd recommend a stash of nappy bag/dog poo bags for mid-ride changes etc so she can put anything in a bin when they finish riding. A mini hand sanitiser before changing things and paracetamol in case of cramps.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
I was thinking about potential menstrual products. I'd recommend a stash of nappy bag/dog poo bags for mid-ride changes etc so she can put anything in a bin when they finish riding. A mini hand sanitiser before changing things and paracetamol in case of cramps.
Great idea, if menstruation are due around the time of the trip.
@Ridgeway I would give your daughter a CO2 pump and teach her how to use it.
Or ask the teacher if they are already carrying one: still, for what it weights, better for her to be independent in case she gets separated from the group.
Don't know how the weather is in Switzerland when your girl goes on tour, here in Scotland I always take a (light) spare pair of shoes to wear off the bike, because the riding ones are invariably soaked.
I wouldn't bother carrying slippers or similar, one can walk about the hostel in socks.
I would get her a good power bank, make sure she can access Google maps offline, make sure she can read a basic map.
I can't, that's why I had to get a Garmin :smile:

rivers

How far can I go?
This is what I tend to take if going solo:
Tool kit, pump, spare tubes and patches, tubeless repair kit.
Spare set of cycling kit (including socks)
Sleep wear
Waterproof jacket, gilet, arm and leg warmers
Pair of shorts to go over cycling shorts
If remote: Water filter
At least 2 litres of water (more if hot)
Sleeping bag and camping equipment (but sounds like she just needs a sleeping bag)
Inflatable pillow
Electrolytes
A day's worth of food if I can easily restock on the route
First aid kit with some painkillers
Chamois cream
Menstrual products if needed
Power bank, cables, usb plug
Phone

OP
OP
Ridgeway

Ridgeway

Veteran
This is what I tend to take if going solo:
Tool kit, pump, spare tubes and patches, tubeless repair kit.
Spare set of cycling kit (including socks)
Sleep wear
Waterproof jacket, gilet, arm and leg warmers
Pair of shorts to go over cycling shorts
If remote: Water filter
At least 2 litres of water (more if hot)
Sleeping bag and camping equipment (but sounds like she just needs a sleeping bag)
Inflatable pillow
Electrolytes
A day's worth of food if I can easily restock on the route
First aid kit with some painkillers
Chamois cream
Menstrual products if needed
Power bank, cables, usb plug
Phone

Thank you so much !

FrothNinja

Veteran
Can I suggest you let your daughter try getting on and off the bike with loaded panniers before committing for the trip. Many people struggle more with mounting the bike and the way it handles with the weight of loaded panniers. Also try with the fully loaded pack too. I would advise a robust comfortable pack if going down that route.

OP
OP
Ridgeway

Ridgeway

Veteran
Can I suggest you let your daughter try getting on and off the bike with loaded panniers before committing for the trip. Many people struggle more with mounting the bike and the way it handles with the weight of loaded panniers. Also try with the fully loaded pack too. I would advise a robust comfortable pack if going down that route.

This sounds like a good idea, will try this for sure 👍🏻

alicat

Legendary Member
A sense of humour.

presta

Guru
I wouldn't bother carrying slippers or similar, one can walk about the hostel in socks.
I got a liking for the habit of going barefoot when I was a fellwalker, because it's a good idea to let your feet harden and dry when they've been softened with sweat all day in a pair of hot boots. I've had complaints from hostel staff once or twice: they see the soles of my feet black, and it doesn't occur that I've just got out of the shower, so they assume that it's my feet making their floors dirty instead of the other way around. ^_^

I get some pics of the before and after😂

I really don't want to come across as disrespectful and I think what your daughter has coming up is a fantastic experience.

250km. 5 days away from home. Part of a group. Wow!

To me, though, it's about far more than riding from A to B on a bike. There is so much more to such an experience if it's tapped into. Especially the "growing up" part. (I appreciate that as her father that part may be unappealing to you ^_^ )

Things don't have to be perfect or every single contingency thought out and planned for. Or, at least, you don't have to think and plan. That's her job. I really hope that discussions in the Ridgeway household aren't going along the lines of "This is what the people on the Internet say you should bring or do ...." and more along the lines of "I wonder what would happen if....." or "have you thought about ......" and even those might be too "pushy".

It's probably just me but was I doing similar at the same age (and I went off with a friend to the other side of the country at 15) and my parent was talking about posting photos* to a website I'd have switched off and run for the hills.

In years to come she's not going to remember if Dad's list was useful or not. She's going to remember how her Dad made her feel.

* I'm sure I'm not the only one who'd love to see photos and as someone who has benefited greatly from being inspired by others you might like to gently suggest https://www.cyclechat.net/forums/member-travelogues.46/ ^_^

Top Bottom