Dawes 531 Lady Galaxy (half mixte) frame

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

clyde

Well it's time to decide what to do with this frame set.
It's got headset/forks and bb.
My plan was to restore for my daughter but she took a shine to a Claud Butler of similar spec and decided that would be better for her needs. (leaving locked up outside work in all weather's)
So if anyone wants it for £50 then it can go otherwise its going to the powder coaters for a shiny new coat in the next few weeks.
Got some correct components knocking about someplace.. Brakes, Dawes crank (stickers lifting but are available) stem and bars possibly.
It looks rough at present but no rot at all.
Frame is in Devon and would prefer collection but post available at cost.
Thanks for looking.

Attachments

• IMG_20210204_145911.jpg
    IMG_20210204_145911.jpg
    311.2 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_20210204_145922.jpg
    IMG_20210204_145922.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_20210204_145930.jpg
    IMG_20210204_145930.jpg
    206.9 KB · Views: 16

Cathryn

Legendary Member
I can't justify another bike but curious where you're doing the powder coating? I'd love my tourer to have a shiny new dress!

OP
OP
C

clyde

If your in Wiltshire I imagine my powder coaters Is abit far.
Any decent place should be able to do it. Depends if they do alot of bikes etc as to if it will be a good job.

Cathryn

Legendary Member
If your in Wiltshire I imagine my powder coaters Is abit far.
Any decent place should be able to do it. Depends if they do alot of bikes etc as to if it will be a good job.

Sorry if this is an idiot question but what should I google? What words? Powder coater? Bike painter?

Gazjacko

Any Powder Coating company should be able to do a good job. Go speak with them and ask questions about what they want from you, on how they intend to strip the frame ( what blast media). Ask if you or they want to plug up any threads. See if they have examples of small intricate items they have done ( some are geared for quite ‘industrial’ work) or preferably other frames. If you’re not too bothered on colour they might just tag it to another job they already have and charge you less. Finally I offered to send pictures of the finished bike (before/after) for them to add as advertising which they were going to use to diversify their services.

You will need to strip the bike down to just frame and forks. That means removing everything. Bottom bracket, headset, head badge and then find some means of protecting the threads that you wish to re-use. Once powder coat gets on threads it is a real PIA ro remove. Better to find some sacrificial bolts.
Are those chrome forks? That can be hard to strip if you want to have either powdercoated forks or have them rechromed. You will have to speak to your man about that.
I went from this.... 588807
to this for £60

My guy is up in the frozen north and virus central known as Lancashire so may be a bit far for you, but you get an idea of what is available.

Top Bottom