Dawes Flair 3 speed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

hatherton_wood

Anybody know anything about this model? Looks like early 1970's. Shimano 333 three speed hub. What surprised me was how light the frame is - yet does not say what it is.
2014-06-22 14.36.43.jpg

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Looks in amazing condition considering the age. Did you have to do much to it?

OP
OP
H

hatherton_wood

No - just had to clean up the chrome on the wheels a little. Pedals were missing - put some cheap ones on for now. Otherwise don't think it has been used much at all.

OP
OP
H

hatherton_wood

Yes its 26.2 seat post - I wonder what it is? Its lighter than my Claud Bulter 531 frame. its certainly the lightest 3 speed I have come across and flys with its 27 x 1-1/4 wheels. Might treat it to a Brooks saddle... might be worth it!

Bobtoo

Über Member
According to this article http://www.classicrendezvous.com/British_isles/Dawes_main.htm it could be something called Mazzucato tubing.

Rather than being satisfied with locally-drawn gas-pipe for some of its lower range models, Dawes
used a high grade carbon-rich mild steel tubing called Mazzucato ( also known for the ORIA brand)
made from Mannesmann steel. In the late 70s and early 80s they then adopted for some of their mid
range and slightly better frames (according to Ron Kitching who negotiated the contract and took
his agent's commission on the deal) an Ishiwata tubing called Magny-V whose qualities... possibly a
type of 4130 Chro-Mo... were ideal for hearth or oven brazing without loss of quality.

OP
OP
H

hatherton_wood

Interesting - I did not think it was cheap tubing. Be interesting to see how the Shimano 333 hub holds up - the gear changing is quite positive. Its interesting to try this compared to the Sturmey AW I am so used to.

Very nice example.
Got one of these new as a teenager in 1976. Not a cheap bike back in the day - a fair bit dearer than a Raleigh.
From the short head tube the one in the picture must be the 21" frame like mine.
I remember this catalogue very well also.
Flair came highly recommended by a friend of parents who was a bicycle mechanic.
Unfortunately I had a bit of a prang and bent the frame, which was replaced, but with a 5 speed frame, meaning the chain guard had to be changed as the 3 speed one required welded on brackets on the frame which would have been hard to replicate on the new frame.
Thought I might fully upgrade to 5 speed one day (from the catalogue you will see there was a 5 speed option).
Still got the bike, it's still a 3 speed.
Not in use right now, tyres are perished. Bike is still pretty decent other than that.
Shimano 3 speed nice to use and trouble free.

Update:

New inner tubes, chain oiled, brakes and gear selector mechanism checked and freed up, (didn't really need anything as weren't really sticking).
Up and running again.
Not quite as nice as the one that started the thread - but a lot of history for me.
Youngest son now a classic bike enthusiast - and it fits him. (not entirely decided if this is a good thing)
For a bike with SENSIBLE stamped all over it it's still good fun.

Chris S

Legendary Member
Be interesting to see how the Shimano 333 hub holds up

It probably won't:

"The 333 hub was much more complicated internally than the Sturmey-Archer AW. The diameter of the hub was smaller, and so stresses on the internal parts were higher. The metallurgy of Japanese steel at that time was not up to the standards of British steelmaking, so the parts were weaker. Japanese cyclists were (and still are) lighter, on average, than Americans.

The combination of design and metallurgy of the Shimano 333 hub was probably adequate for the needs of the Japanese market, but when sold in the U.S., the hub acquired a reputation for unreliability.
When an older Shimano 3-speed hub fails, it is most often because one of the under-engineered pawls has shattered. The hub may still work after a fashion, so the rider continues to use it until the broken fragments of the pawls have gone on to destroy the gears and other parts, making the hub basically irreparable."

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/shimano333.html

Top Bottom