DAWES GALAXY 2012 MODEL - 48CM

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bikerta

I have finally had to concede and am now selling my beloved Dawes Galaxy. The reason for the sale is because I am a woman with short arms and although the height of the bike is fine, the length of the top tube means I cannot comfortably reach the drop bars. When I purchased the bike, the bike shop fitted an adjustable stem to bring the bars a little closer, but it's not enough for me. I have to now accept that I am going to have to buy another bike.

I purchased the Galaxy in August last year, so it is only 8 months old. It was bought to train for and complete a Lands End to John o' Groats trip this summer. I have covered approximately 1200 miles on the bike, which have been mostly dry weather miles. Included in these miles was a 4 day tour last August to test the bike (and me) fully loaded. I travelled 140 miles in the 4 days and I have to say the bike performed beautifully. Unloaded, she runs very smoothly and is surprisingly fast, but loaded she comes into her own and is very stable and easy to ride. The Dawes Galaxy is a highly desirable touring bike and has been a very popular choice for many years and I can now see why.

The Schwalbe Marathon tyres are excellent on the roads, but also allow you to travel along canal towpaths or trails in comfort. The wheels are very strong 36h with Alex XT19 rims. This is the higher spec Dawes Galaxy with the Reynolds 631 tubing and is superior to the 2013 and later models. This model has now become the Dawes Galaxy Classic which is the one you should be comparing it with in the current models. There is a high quality Tubus Logo rear carrier fitted for all your luggage. I found the Ortlieb panniers worked very well with this rack.

The bike is in excellent condition and hopefully the photos show this. There are a couple of very tiny marks on the paintwork, and a little rubbing from the cables on the head tube. There is the usual scuff marks on the cranks and on the rear carrier where the panniers have come into contact with the rack. The tyres are still very good. In the photographs, there is also a Blackburn MF1 front rack, which I found useful for putting bulky but light items on, such as sleeping bag. I presume it can also carry front panniers, but I do not own any to try it out. I found I did not need them for the 4 day tour. This rack will be taken off before the sale and sold separately, although for a small fee, this could be left on the bike for the new owner. I have also removed the Brooks saddle which can be seen in a couple of the photographs and the original saddle has been put back on. This is a Selle Italia gel saddle and I found it very comfortable, I changed saddles purely for the look rather than the comfort.

This bike originally retailed at £1200, but looking around on the internet, there are still a few 2012 models left and they are retailing at around £900. I am asking £600 for this bike, so leaving you with £300 to purchase any shiny new accessories or to pay for your first trip away with the bike. The frame is 48cm. I am 5'5" with a 29" inside leg and I am on the smaller side for this bike, therefore I would suggest that the bike would fit 5'4" up to 5'8". The top tube measures 54cm, which for me was a long reach, but I have since been measured and I need a smaller top tube and straight bars rather than drop bars.

I would prefer collection only and am based in Gillingham, North Dorset (not Kent)

SPEC - 631 Tubing, Shimano Deore 9 speed, 27 gears, chainrings 48,36,26, Shimano cassette 11-32, Dura Ace bar end shifters, Wellgo dual purpose pedals (flat on one side, SPD on the other), Shimano hubs 36h, Alex XT19 double wall rims, Shimano alloy cantilever brakes, Tektro levers, Dawes alloy ahead stem, Schwalbe Marathon 700 x 32c, Selle Italia FLX saddle, Dawes alloy micro adjust seat post, SKS chromoplastic mudguards, Tubus Logo rear carrier, 2 alloy bottle cages

DawesGalaxy027_zpsa75e6495.jpg [/URL]

DawesGalaxy025_zpsbee91331.jpg [/URL]

DawesGalaxy020_zpsa9e02998.jpg [/URL]

DawesGalaxy017_zps3c41cfc3.jpg [/URL]

DawesGalaxy016_zpscd03bfa5.jpg [/URL]

DawesGalaxy011_zps690d1e3e.jpg [/URL]

DawesGalaxy009_zps60215f79.jpg [/URL]

DawesGalaxy007_zps9d57aab4.jpg [/URL]

DawesGalaxy006_zps57b4ee8f.jpg [/URL]

DawesGalaxy004_zpsa281a3b5.jpg [/URL]

DawesGalaxy001_zps6df837b6.jpg [/URL]

FirsttriponDawesGalaxyAug2013019_zps5683dce8.jpg [/URL]

Last edited:
How about A zero setback seat post? That may move you forward a little more.

OP
OP
B

Bikerta

How about A zero setback seat post? That may move you forward a little more.

You could be right with this as looking at the post, it is set back a couple of cm. I also looked into changing the handlebars for straight bars as not really getting on with drops, but this then becomes expensive buying new bars, gear levers, brakes and brake levers and possibly front changer. Having made the decision to sell, I have spent the last few days looking around and have now sourced my next bike, so I need to proceed with the sale.

Many thanks for the help though.

Best wishes.
Jackie

You could be right with this as looking at the post, it is set back a couple of cm. I also looked into changing the handlebars for straight bars as not really getting on with drops, but this then becomes expensive buying new bars, gear levers, brakes and brake levers and possibly front changer. Having made the decision to sell, I have spent the last few days looking around and have now sourced my next bike, so I need to proceed with the sale.

Many thanks for the help though.

Best wishes.
Jackie

All fair enough but I can't resist asking if the problem is the drops i.e is your reach to the hoods ok. If it isn't then forget I asked, if it is, I think a set of compact bars would make a tremendous difference. Apologies, I wouldn't normally interfere with a For Sale post but I can't help thinking it's a shame to let such a good bike go without covering all the options first.

I would finally add, excellent bike, excellent price, good luck.

OP
OP
B

Bikerta

All fair enough but I can't resist asking if the problem is the drops i.e is your reach to the hoods ok. If it isn't then forget I asked, if it is, I think a set of compact bars would make a tremendous difference. Apologies, I wouldn't normally interfere with a For Sale post but I can't help thinking it's a shame to let such a good bike go without covering all the options first.

I would finally add, excellent bike, excellent price, good luck.

I think I am not getting on with the drop bars because the reach to the hoods is too long for me. The hoods is the best position to hold, but because I am stretched, then I am getting problems with my neck and shoulder. I then find I am moving onto the tops more, but I feel the tops are too narrow to control the bike as well as I would like. Up until last year, I only ever rode bikes on shortish 20 mile rides with my sons and these were on a very upright bike. After deciding to ride JOGLE this year I looked into buying a bike for the trip and I found that lots of people recommended the Galaxy. I found the bike ok to start with as I was only riding 20 to 25 miles at a time, but since I have upped the distance to 40 to 50 miles I am finding that I am incredibly uncomfortable after an hour or so on the bike and it is spoiling the enjoyment. I have spoken to a LBS about the problem and they agree the reach is too long for me.

Top Bottom