Dawes Galaxy range

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tank63

Having looked at a few touring style bikes, its the Dawes range that has caught my eye.
If any members ride a Dawes if they could give me a review of what they think about them. Also is there any in the Dawes range that I should pass over and not bother with.
Thanks

Last edited:
Dawes have expanded the Galaxy range recently but I think the minimum I would look at is the 631 version. Also look at Spa cycles own tourers.

sidevalve

Über Member
If you want to tour it's the one - end of [yep go for the 631 tube] Heavier than some [it includes mudguards spare spokes [!] and wider tyres but it is a touring bicycle and will take you to China and back with no fuss. [Yes I have one and yes I am a fan]

Katherine

Guru
I've never actually toured on mine! One day...
I do load it up with all sorts though. But it's really easy and comfortable to ride. I have a Super Galaxy which is 631 frame and it has disc brakes which are great. I've changed the saddle for one that's better for my shape and the pedals because I like toe clips.I was lucky that Mr K found a shop selling the previous years stock at a bargain price.

Cumisky

I have done thousands of miles on mine though currently laid up as the rear hub is ill and I can't seem to fix it, new wheel when funds allow I imagine.
I live in the West Pennines so hill central, and she copes admirably with them, even fully loaded with panniers, despite her age, hard to date as records were destroyed in a factory fire, but I think she is pre 80.
I will post some shots of her once my account is able as I'm new, but if you search instagram for my name you will find plenty.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Having looked at a few touring style bikes, its the Dawes range that has caught my eye.
If any members ride a Dawes if they could give me a review of what they think about them. Also is there any in the Dawes range that I should pass over and not bother with.
Thanks

@Tank63 over the years i have had quite a few Galaxy's go through my hands and they always ride very nice with a good solid feeling mind you i am only talking aprox pre year 2000 models .

My current Galaxy Tour is a great bike to ride and i would certainly give it a vote as a great bike to buy for touring or general riding .

gal2.jpg

Thanks

It's the bike for discerning people who have taste and refinement. There's no room for silly divisiveness in cycling but everyone who doesn't ride a Galaxy is a bed-wetting shoplifter. It's a design classic and could simply be hung in the living room and admired. If you ride it it will eat up the miles, you can do a ton laden with no bother. If you get it in BRG it adds at least 4mph. Basically if you don't own a Galaxy your life is empty and devoid of any meaning or beauty. It's like being half-dead or listening to Enya records.

Cumisky

My Dawes on the day I found her, before I did any work.
New cables and bar tape made her usable and we covered a few thousand miles before she developed a rear wheel wobble a couple of months ago.
As she only cost me £25 and I'm skint, she has been sat under a tarp since while I try to find a new wheel for her that is less than her purchase price.
She wore 27 x 1 3/8 tyres when I bought her which were a bugger to find so I put 27 x 1 1/4 on, now I may be being thick here, but if I get a replacement back wheel, what size should it be, and will it matter if it is slightly different to the front as long as it is 27" ?
Bike wheel sizes confuse the hell out of me.

P9260005.jpg

Attachments

• P9260005.jpg
    P9260005.jpg
    165.4 KB · Views: 39
Top Bottom