Dawes Galaxy range

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
My Dawes on the day I found her, before I did any work.
New cables and bar tape made her usable and we covered a few thousand miles before she developed a rear wheel wobble a couple of months ago.
As she only cost me £25 and I'm skint, she has been sat under a tarp since while I try to find a new wheel for her that is less than her purchase price.
She wore 27 x 1 3/8 tyres when I bought her which were a bugger to find so I put 27 x 1 1/4 on, now I may be being thick here, but if I get a replacement back wheel, what size should it be, and will it matter if it is slightly different to the front as long as it is 27" ?
Bike wheel sizes confuse the hell out of me.

View attachment 127975
Is the back wheel not fixable, wobbles can be cured.

Cumisky

Is the back wheel not fixable, wobbles can be cured.
I had a look and didn't trust myself to do it, it just didn't feel right, so took it into Geoff Smith in Bolton as he is the local go to guy for all things bike related.
Sadly, he too declared it odd and unfixable.

OP
OP
Tank63

Tank63

@Tank63 over the years i have had quite a few Galaxy's go through my hands and they always ride very nice with a good solid feeling mind you i am only talking aprox pre year 2000 models .

My current Galaxy Tour is a great bike to ride and i would certainly give it a vote as a great bike to buy for touring or general riding .

View attachment 126936

That looks a real comfy bike!

Trickedem

Guru
I have an Ultra Galaxy that I bough in 2010. It's a great bike, very comfortable and stable. I've done several tours and 100mile rides and I also commute on it.
Only thing I would change is getting disk brakes, as others have said

robjh

Legendary Member
@robjh has a well toured Dawes that i saw on Saturday.

Nice man who also provided a damn good gorgonzola at the picnic but if he start spouting undying love for Dawes i could go off him;)
Gorgonzola isn't some kind of euphemism in case anyone's wondering.

My Dawes is the steel-framed Sardar that they made in the early 2000s, and was rather like a Galaxy with 26" wheels. Very comfy for long tours and plodding slowly up mountains with 20kg of luggage, but not a beast built for speed.

Top Bottom